North Sea Cycle Route: Ferries?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Paragon

Frustratingly just about all the ferries serving this route have been withdrawn in the past few years. Is there any way to get the family across from UK to Scandinavia by sea? There does seem to be a freight ferry to gothenberg, but is there any way that a freight ferry would tolerate 4 cyclists with no cargo?

The short answer is no. There is now no way by sea sadly and cargo feels rarely take passengers and my understanding is that the north sea ones are either fully booked or not taking them last I heard.

I believe if you don't want to fly (and you will have to at some point) that your only option is south of England to Belgium I think.

Hull to Rotterdam still operates but that takes out a chunk of the UK route.

Have you looked at what the north sea cycle route website says? It was pretty good when we did part of it a number of years ago.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
No there isn't.

If we want to travel to the UK by boat we have to go to Holland or France now. There is a story that a ferry company called Regina will set up. It is total rubbish, so take no notice of it.

If you want to cycle the North sea cycle route on this side, you can fly Ryanair to Billund from Stansted. It is then about 70km to the coast and the North sea cycle route. Nice riding all the way.

There is a cargo ferry from Immingham to Esjberg. But it is strictly for cargo and there is a very limited number of cabins. You will not get on it. I know this because I have tried. In fact I took a van over to the UK and had both passages booked. When I arrived to get on the ferry had cancelled me for a bigger truck. I managed to get on 2 days later. Luckily all my family live in the area otherwise I would have been stuck on Immingham docks. The freight ferry is always booked up because it is the only way they can get over here.

Flying is by far the easiest and cheapest option.

What is the boat in your picture...no I am not suggesting you use that. But I am a sail maker.

Last edited:
U

User482

Yes, it's incredibly frustrating that there is now no sea route between the UK and anywhere in Scandinavia. If you're driving, it's not worth sailing to the Hook of Holland - it'd be quicker and cheaper to sail to Calais. But you're looking at a very long drive to get to southern Jutland, let alone further north. Unfortunately, flying is the only realistic option so far as I can tell. At least Billund is right next to Legoland...

F70100

Who, me ?
If you want to fly to somewhere closer to the northern point of Denmark, you can get to Aalborg via Amsterdam from almost any UK airport with KLM.

No idea about costs though.

OP
OP
Paragon

Paragon

What is the boat in your picture...no I am not suggesting you use that. But I am a sail maker.

Paragon: built for my grandfather by Millers of St Monans in 1935. Sails by North Sea Sails of Tollesbury about 5 years ago. Replacing a set that had been on for about 50 years! Hang on though, this isn't a sailing forum, so I had better post a reply about the cycling......

Last edited:
OP
OP
Paragon

Paragon

Thanks all, rather confirming what I had thought. I will probably go from Hull or Harwich, and catch a train back to Amsterdam once I have done as much of the dutch/ german/ danish sections as I can with the family in the time available. All rather frustrating, and leaves me not quite sure on how to finish it off in the future. Planning to start in Shetland.

snorri

Legendary Member
It looks as if FlyBe also offer a service between Bergen and Sumburgh/Kirkwall/Inverness.
Bergen to Sumburgh would be as close as you could get to the old North Sea Cycle Route:smile:.

classic33

Leg End Member
Currently no North Sea ferry operator, sailing from the UK, that will accept bicyles/pedal cycles as they would a car.

Brandane

Legendary Member
Currently no North Sea ferry operator, sailing from the UK, that will accept bicyles/pedal cycles as they would a car.
Never had problems in the past taking a pedal cycle on P&O Hull to Rotterdam/Zeebrugge. The problem these days is that fares are stupidly expensive compared to just a few years ago. Same goes for Newcastle/Amsterdam.
Just by way of a random example of price. I did this trip about 3 years go for less than £100. Sail overnight Hull to Rotterdam, spend 2 days cycling to Zeebrugge, return to Hull on overnight ferry. Price now for 1 person and a bicycle, sailing on Tuesday night and returning Thursday night (albeit doing the trip in the other direction as I wanted a change). £314 :ohmy:. Thanks but no thanks. I can get return flights and a week in a fleapit hotel at some dodgy resort in the Canaries for that.

Screenshot%2031_zpsqo5tidlp.png

Attachments

• Screenshot%2031_zpsqo5tidlp.png
    Screenshot%2031_zpsqo5tidlp.png
    11.4 KB · Views: 42
Last edited:

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Personally, I would sail to Holland and head South or even through Germany.

Denmark has great cycle networks in relation to cycle paths but the North Sea cycle route North of Esjberg is as dull as dishwater, in my opinion.

OP
OP
Paragon

Paragon

Never had problems in the past taking a pedal cycle on P&O Hull to Rotterdam/Zeebrugge. The problem these days is that fares are stupidly expensive compared to just a few years ago.

That is really frustrating when I am used to ferry fares coming down! Calmac ferries to the Scottish Islands are much cheaper thanks to the RET (road equivalent tarriff). Maybe I should go west rather than south!

Polocini

Veteran
One thing with the hull ferry was the last time I was on there they expected me to tie my bike to some metal pipes with a bit of rope. It was my best bike and I wasn't too happy about it. Normally It's tied to a metal wall which again isn't ideal but just be aware that they don't use the bike room anymore.

AL

Slick

Guru
That is really frustrating when I am used to ferry fares coming down! Calmac ferries to the Scottish Islands are much cheaper thanks to the RET (road equivalent tarriff). Maybe I should go west rather than south!
That's exactly what you should do. You have probably done them all already, but no law says you can't do them again. That RET makes them really affordable now as well.

Top Bottom