North Sea Cycle Route; Zeebrugge to Calais

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

14june1942

Has anyone cycled this section; I'd like info on type of surface, quality of signposting, whether continuous etc. I plan to catch a train at Calais; does anyone know whether SNCF give discount to oldies?

OP
OP

14june1942

Has anyone cycled this section; I'd like info on type of surface, quality of signposting, whether continuous etc. I plan to catch a train at Calais; does anyone know whether SNCF give discount to oldies?

Andy in Sig

Vice President in Exile
I know Bikeline has published books for some sections of the N Sea route and maybe one of them does the Calais stretch. It would be worth looking at their websiite.

Andy in Sig

Vice President in Exile
I know Bikeline has published books for some sections of the N Sea route and maybe one of them does the Calais stretch. It would be worth looking at their websiite.

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
Andy in Sig said:

I have had a quick look at the Bikeline web site and the Section the N Sea route they publish in English is from Tønder to Skagen (the Danish bit). I think you can most of the route published in German, given that their map are so good, it probably worth getting them even if you don't know any German.

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
Andy in Sig said:

I have had a quick look at the Bikeline web site and the Section the N Sea route they publish in English is from Tønder to Skagen (the Danish bit). I think you can most of the route published in German, given that their map are so good, it probably worth getting them even if you don't know any German.

snorri

Legendary Member
The North Sea cycle route has been shortened, and now bypasses Belgium and France. Also the website is out of date, showing a non existent ferry route. The North Sea route followed the Den Helder to Boulogne route LF1 for that section with an optional tee off to Calais. This route was well surfaced but poorly signposted in France and Belgium, and also went inland taking the picturesque rather than direct route.
I can't recall any problems cycling Calais - Zeebrugge direct, just pick up a map at Zeebrugge and keep the sea on your right and south west on your compass. It might be worth going inland to avoid Dunkirk which can be a bit messy to get through without forward planning. All well surfaced, but Belgian signposting is probably not the best in Europe.

snorri

Legendary Member
The North Sea cycle route has been shortened, and now bypasses Belgium and France. Also the website is out of date, showing a non existent ferry route. The North Sea route followed the Den Helder to Boulogne route LF1 for that section with an optional tee off to Calais. This route was well surfaced but poorly signposted in France and Belgium, and also went inland taking the picturesque rather than direct route.
I can't recall any problems cycling Calais - Zeebrugge direct, just pick up a map at Zeebrugge and keep the sea on your right and south west on your compass. It might be worth going inland to avoid Dunkirk which can be a bit messy to get through without forward planning. All well surfaced, but Belgian signposting is probably not the best in Europe.

Andy in Sig

Vice President in Exile
The Bikeline books are IMO of use to non-English speakers because the maps are clear, a list of hotels is a list of hotels and the text is essentially an accompanyment to the mapping.

Andy in Sig

Vice President in Exile
The Bikeline books are IMO of use to non-English speakers because the maps are clear, a list of hotels is a list of hotels and the text is essentially an accompanyment to the mapping.

old donald

Cycled around the Pas de Calais in Oct this year. on my first day I went from Zeebrugge to the other side of Calais - total 97 miles. I did parts of the coastal route - the bits I did, tended to be more like Promenardes with people out walking by the beach etc the surface was fine although drfting sand could be quite tricky on the loaded tourer - could be a bit slippy - It is worth doing these because some of these were truly excellent. I didn't see any signs for the North Sea coastal route.
Dunkirk was truly awful (busy and Industrial) and I got lost. Avoid it if you can. The Ostend stretch of the coastal route was great - lots of Cafee's etc for the pit stops.

The Other side of Dunkirk was also fine - Gravelines was worth a stop.

Have a good trip

old donald

Snorri - it was the excitement of the first day - plus it is very flat - so provided there is no head wind it is grand cycling country.

Needless to say - I did not repeat this first days mileage over the next 4 days.

Top Bottom