North Sea Route - Norway (Kristiansand - Bergen)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

JaimeVelo

I just did trip June 1-9, 2015

For the most part, cycling roads were very good. I found cars and trucks to be very courteous and give wide berth and didn't honk at me.
I frequently got food at petrol stations- on route and abundant.
Take trip to Pleikestolen while in Stavanger. Worth it!
Days are long so take advantage of riding early or late (much less traffic).
The fish soup in Fisketorget (sp?) on the quay in Stavanger is excellent!
The restaurant at the Grand Hotell in Flekkefjord is excellent.
No one seemed to be able to tell you distances in km. They always knew how far by car..(1hr) but not how many kilometers.

NORTH OF STAVANGER:
1. Signage from Bergen to Haugesund very good, except turn off to from Halhjem to Sandvikvag ferry not well marked.
2. After crossing second bridge (south) onto Bomlo, be sure to take left off 542 to Havik (shorter).
2.5 Ferry from Langevag to Buavagen operated on the hour, even on Sunday.
3. The route is fairly easy. Not hilly like south of Stavanger.
4. Bikemap.net has good app for online gps.
5. Take ferry from Nedstrand to Stavanger to replace old route. I know there is one at 08:55 and 16:35 from Nedstrand to Stavanger on M-Th. Karoline in Tourist Office in Stavanger helpful.
6. Only 52k from Haugesund to Nedstrand
7. To go from Haugesund to Nedstrand, head east at corner with Hagland Kraft store and Opel car dealership.

SOUTH OF STAVANGER
1. Once you are 15k out of Stavanger, sign posts are poor. Use gps. Don't rely on North Atlantic Cycle Route map from Tourist Office. Not enough detail.
2. Beware, the sign posts direct you to out and back tourist spots sometimes, like to Soderland.
3. Hard to find off road section along beach north of Ogna.
4. Hard to find entrance to old highway route south of Ogna. Egersund side is easier to find.
5. Hard to find route leaving Mandal heading south to Kristiansund.
6. Lots of big climbs south of Egersund. Down to fjords and back up again.

Prepare for rain! Use bus stop shelters to duck out of rain when it starts to pour.

Twowheelxtc

I cycled this route from N to S 5 yrs ago (then carried on up to Oslo, Sweden and Denmark). As has been mentioned Norway is very very expensive to eat out, stay in hotels or drink alcohol. Camping and cooking your own food makes it ok and wild camping is legal for one night away from houses and crops so cheaper still!
The up side of Norway is the beautiful scenery, polite careful drivers ( just like here!) and a 50 mph speed limit that most keep to. Everyone speaks better English than we do and there is a low crime rate.
It's ideal for touring as long as you don't mind a few hills but on that route there is nothing too severe....I rode it as part of the Norh Sea Cycle Route as a retirement trip....and survived ok despite age and a heavy bike with camp gear.

Top Bottom