North West Passage Audax, 18 Feb - anyone done it?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I'm interested in principle, Colin, depending on the date and other commitments but a word of warning - I haven't been out for my first 2012 ride yet :ohmy:

If my legs cope with a Waddington run I'd consider the mini NWP - could be a good run (although there's a fair few A roads, aren't there? :sad: )
Don't worry about your legs - I haven't ridden a single mile since November 20th so I won't be planning anything too radical! I'll try and get a few rides in before January 20th, which is when I plan to do the Waddington ride, but I certainly won't be very fit!

The mini-NWP, like its big sister (brother?), does use a lot of A-roads. I think it is because it is a winter ride and it would have to be cancelled half the time if the route took to more quiet roads. Having said that, I have nicer (slightly hillier, more scenic) variations for both the mini-NWP and the full NWP which I have ridden when the weather was kind to me.

Colin...............FLAT :ohmy::laugh:
I refer the honourable gentleman to the end of my previous paragraph!

Just checked the Garmin data, and I did do the Mini version in 2010. 74.18 miles in 5:02 plus a half hour stop at the Country Kitchen in Waddington for a Baked Potato with cheese. It was very cold which encouraged my relatively high average speed of 21.5 km/h, and ice in the water bottle.

Looking at doing it again this year, I've requested the day off work. Think I'll enter on the line and choose the distance depending on the weather. The mini is a challenging enough ride, but the idea of still not having done the long Audax from my home town does rankle a bit.
You'd romp round the longer one Svendo! If you get decent weather for it and you fancy a less busy route - here is my more lanesy version which still uses the proper checkpoints. (It seems to load really slowly because I plotted it as a route with lots of waypoints rather than as a track.)

I'll try and get a few rides in before January 20th, which is when I plan to do the Waddington ride, but I certainly won't be very fit!

Isn't January 20th a Friday?

Ajay

Veteran
I'll enter the mini, not that I'm chickening out of the long one you understand (honest!), just that the top half of the route is too main-roady for my liking!

400bhp

Guru
I'll probably do this. :thumbsup:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
My scenic variation which takes the Whalley Old Road to Blackburn rather than newer, busier, boring A-roads. I recommend this way unless the roads are too icy.

Oh, and I think I've mentioned it elsewhere, but it is worth repeating ...

The route officially goes round Whitebirk roundabout as we leave Blackburn. I don't like the idea of dicing with fast-moving vehicles on one of the UK's biggest roundabouts which is absorbing the traffic from the M65, A678, A679 and A6119 (!) so I divert round the back of the Mercendes Benz dealership at Whitebirk Drive - Streetview. About 10 yards of footpath bring you out on the much smaller roundabout on the other side of Whitebirk.

OP
OP
DCLane

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
I got my route sheet through the other day. Have mapped it on ridewithgps. Here is the route for those interested.

Mini North-West Passage

75 miles and just over 5000ft of climbing. Should be a good day out. Here's hoping for some good weather!

Steve, having got the directions through today, and it being my first Audax, I'll be following you (or anyone else who can understand them) round ... my degree in Geography looks like it's no use with these!

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
I haven't seen the actual route sheet (must remember to enter :whistle:)
Here's a few normal instrictins though: -
SO = Straight on
T = T junction
X = cross roads
TL = Traffic Lights
L= Left
R= Right

SO:T - Straight on at T junction :thumbsup:

Top Bottom