North West Passage Audax, 18 Feb - anyone done it?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
DCLane

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
I haven't seen the actual route sheet (must remember to enter :whistle:)

Better get your entry in quick then, since I think they're closed?

The instructions are none of those - I can understand them. The ones they've provided are very basic. However, Steve H's are much simpler. Me likey those.

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
Entry isn't closed yet as far as I'm aware: -

Entries should arrive at least 2 weeks before the event.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
A bump up to remind those of who are interested in the event, but who haven't entered yet - time is running out! (About a week left to get your entries in.)

Okay, I've filled in my entry, and I even found some C5 envelopes to do it properly (Wilkos do them cheap)! I'll post it tomorrow.

potsy

Rambler
I am provisionally going to do this, but have a slight problem in that I am on night shift that week, so won't finish work until 1.30am on the day.
Whether I'd then be up for a tough ride I don't know.

Is it possible to enter on the day?

400bhp

Guru
These Audax thingies-what's the etiquette at stopping at cafes en-route?

Do they usually pass cyclist friendly cafes or are you expected to sort yourself out?

potsy

Rambler
The only one I have done SITD, one of the control points was at a cafe so we stopped there.
Was also a control point in a layby where snacks/bananas/water was available free.

I'll print my form off and take it with me on the day.

OP
OP
DCLane

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...

Do they usually pass cyclist friendly cafes or are you expected to sort yourself out?

Someone'll be along to comment as this is my first Audax.

However, the control point is at a cycle friendly cafe.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
if you can enter on the line do you have to be an audax member beforehand?
No, but you have to pay a supplement for 3rd party insurance on the day (£2?) unless you can prove that you already have it (e.g. with CTC).

Audax is about being self-reliant so stop where and when you want. The control points are often at cafes, but between them, do your own thing. Obviously if you are riding in a group, as some of us intend to do on the MNWP, then discuss it among yourselves.

I think that it is extremely unlikely that an event organiser would forget the need for riders to pick up food and drink on a ride, so (s)he would take that into account when planning the route.

The etiquette question comes in at control cafes, where you are encouraged to buy something as a way of saying thanks to the cafe owner for use of their facilities. You don't have to buy an expensive meal, even a can of Coke or a Mars Bar would do.
The only one I have done SITD, one of the control points was at a cafe so we stopped there.
Was also a control point in a layby where snacks/bananas/water was available free.
SITD and its sister event SoM are at the lavish end of the scale in terms of catering! The MNWP is more basic - control at Country Kitchen cafe at Waddington, pie-and-peas at the start/finish pub!

It is 120 km so 1 stop should be okay, whereas on a 200, there would probably be at least 2, maybe more.

My forum ride on Sunday took us to Country Kitchen. I saw that they had a thank-you letter from Audax UK pinned to their noticeboard, and also a letter from Chris Crossland, organiser of SITD and SoM.

And I've now posted my entry, which has almost guaranteed a mini-Ice-Age for the day of the mini-NWP, if last year was anything to go by ... :whistle:

Ok, we are aiming to come up to Holmes Chapel Friday night and over to Rochdale Sat morning to do this, assume there is car parking and we can enter on the day. We will have the forms filled in ready, we are CTC members so no problems there. Obviously again it will depend on the weather, but assuming that is ok, are we all meeting at a set time as there is usually a fairly big window for the start times, would obviously be preferable to start at the back end to allow for getting there.
Right, off out shortly to get some pics of the snow, we have a lot.

Svendo

Guru
The pub has parking, and there's space on surrounding streets if it's full. I entered on the day when I did it with no problems. The start times are flexible, when I did there was a vague group start at 9.00 am for the mini version, with about 15 or so riders. Some had started earlier though. The full fat version starts from 8am. I'm still undecided about which length and route to do, and will probably decide on the day itself. If the weather is like yesterday (snow and ice on the ground, temperature just above 0 and constant drizzle-rain-drizzle) I might give it a miss altogether and do the route another day. Forecasts look ok at the moment though, xcweather says Fri 17th up to 7 deg. midday.

Top Bottom