North West Passage Audax, 18 Feb - anyone done it?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

400bhp

Guru
Your memory is correct! The climb from Barrowford through Blacko is 6 km long in which distance we gain 200 m in elevation so it averages 3.33% but with some variations. I don't remember any of it being super steep, but some sections flatten off a bit, and some short sections are significantly steeper. The descent to Gisburn has a similar profile, though I think there are a couple of pretty steep bits towards the bottom.

There is a steep little descent to the Ribble just after Gisburn and an immediate steep little climb back up from the river. After that it is an undulating road to Waddington.

That would be a great plan except for one tiny catch - we'll be setting off at 09:00 ourselves!

The main NWP event sets off at 08:00 but the MNWP starts at 09:00.

The Waddington cafe is 66 km into the ride.

I still hope to take the Whalley Old Road to Blackburn which is an extra climb which knocks a km or so off the total distance, but adds an extra 60 m of climbing which is steeper than the official A-road route, but still only 4% or so.

After that there are 2 more significant ascents. Whitebirk on the fringes of Blackburn (Go behind the car showrooms on the right to avoid the huge motorway roundabout!) to Haslingden Moor gains 171 m in 6.7 km (average of 2.6%, so a long drag really). Then a similar 6 km descent to Ewood Bridge is immediately followed by the climb to Owd Betts which gains 152 m in 5 km (average of ~3%). An undulating couple of km on the tops, and then another 6 km descent takes us back into Rochdale, and finally a 3km drag back out of the town centre to event HQ.

Any chance of building a gpx for your altered route Col? BTW the gpx download of the NWP doesn't appear to work on bikeroutetoaster or ridewith GPS (the mini NWP at least). I had to download the tcx, upload it onto ridewithGPS and convert to gpx. I prefer using gpx files on new routes with a garmin as tcx files don't have turn by turn directions.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Any chance of building a gpx for your altered route Col? BTW the gpx download of the NWP doesn't appear to work on bikeroutetoaster or ridewith GPS (the mini NWP at least). I had to download the tcx, upload it onto ridewithGPS and convert to gpx. I prefer using gpx files on new routes with a garmin as tcx files don't have turn by turn directions.
Do you mean that West Pennine's GPX doesn't work, or the GPX of my modded route that you can download from Bikely, the address of which I gave in this post? You might have to adjust a few points because they were drawn using my Memory Map OS mapping which takes a few liberties with exact placing of roads for clarity's sake

I think people have had a few problems with some of my routes downloaded from Bikely. I'm not sure if Bikely does something to the GPX files or whether it is the way that Memory Map creates them but Bikely seems to understand them when I upload them. Anyway, let me know if the Bikely one works for you. If it doesn't, I'll host it myself and give you a link to that.

potsy

Rambler
How are you getting there boss?

BTW, I would like to ride at my own pace, whatever that is. I'm not going out this weekend and last weekend was a wash out as I had gastric flu. I'm still gettihng over a general flu bug so don't want to commit to a particular group.
I'll be driving there mate.
Even if you still have the flu and feel crap you'd be too fast for us 'leisurely' cylists ^_^

Tail End Charlie

Well, write it down boy ......
I'm doing the mini version of this. It'll be my first Audax aswell. Have got the route loaded onto my GPS, but I'm only just getting the hang of that, so will have paper version (and my specs aswell).
On a Dawes Sardar with bull horns !!

400bhp

Guru
I'm doing the mini version of this. It'll be my first Audax aswell. Have got the route loaded onto my GPS, but I'm only just getting the hang of that, so will have paper version (and my specs aswell).
On a Dawes Sardar with bull horns !!

You cycling to the start? I'm in Timperley.

400bhp

Guru
Black cannondale CAAD9, with Crud Roadracer mudguards.

OP
OP
DCLane

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
I'll either be on, depending upon the weather:

Red Carrera Virtuoso, with red tyres
or
Black/white/red Specialized Secteur Comp (which may or may not have the red tyres from the Carrera above and/or a set of Fulcrum 5's on)

Either way I'll have a green/white striped helmet & red jacket.

italiafirenze

World's Greatest Spy
Im gonna have a bash at this on Saturday so entry on the day - Any tips i.e fill the form in early and get their early?

I've just been considering this myself, how are you planning to get there? I can't see the route but I presume it starts and finishes in the same place?

YahudaMoon

Über Member
I've just been considering this myself, how are you planning to get there? I can't see the route but I presume it starts and finishes in the same place?

Hi. Yeah it starts and finishes at the Spring Inn. I was planning on cycling up from Manchester though I have just realised there is a train at 6.56 as it's a Saturday from Victoria so I'll be on that

Also I haven't entered so will have to sign on the day though as a rule entries should be 2 week before
Other than me meithering Noel the organizer about signing on the day does anyone know if this would be acceptable ? I don't fancy going all the way up there to be told I can't play out :smile:

Any one doing the 200 then ?

Thanks

Svendo

Guru
Hi. Yeah it starts and finishes at the Spring Inn. I was planning on cycling up from Manchester though I have just realised there is a train at 6.56 as it's a Saturday from Victoria so I'll be on that

Also I haven't entered so will have to sign on the day though as a rule entries should be 2 week before
Other than me meithering Noel the organizer about signing on the day does anyone know if this would be acceptable ? I don't fancy going all the way up there to be told I can't play out :smile:

Any one doing the 200 then ?

Thanks

I've entered on the day in the past.
I will be deciding which distance to do nearer the time, depending on weather.
Should I go for the 200 I will then have to decide whether to do the official route or ColinJ's 'total masochist' version with extra lanes and hills.

potsy

Rambler
Printed my form off, just need to fill it in now.
It says anyone entering 'on the line' should do this, also they will accept these entries between 08.05 and 08.55 for the mini one, 07.05-07.55 for the full version.

Top Bottom