North West Passage Audax, 18 Feb - anyone done it?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

400bhp

Guru
If I do the mini audax start to finish I will end up doing around 115 miles.

I have done a bail out route which drops off the audax trail in Blackburn which will mean around 10 miles less. I suspect I'll end up doing the bail out route.

Are you supposed to start when you get there or wait until 9am (mini)?

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
You are not supposed to start before 09:00 otherwise it would make a mockery of the audax speed regulations (how would they know who started, when?). If you start late, then you'd be treated as having started at 09:00 and you'd have to ride faster than the official minimum of 15 kph to make up the lost time. Having said that, who is going to stop you getting on your bike and setting off whenever you want to?

They usually start riders off in groups of about 15 or 20 to spread us out on the road a bit. Having a bunch of 100+ riders passing through Rochdale and Littleborough wouldn't go down well. I'm always amazed how much traffic there is at that time on a Saturday morning and have been rather annoyed with the attitude of some of those drivers who even then, seemingly can't stand a 10 second delay in overtaking.

Tail End Charlie

Well, write it down boy ......
If I do the mini audax start to finish I will end up doing around 115 miles.

I have done a bail out route which drops off the audax trail in Blackburn which will mean around 10 miles less. I suspect I'll end up doing the bail out route.

Baggsy your pie and peas !!!

400bhp

Guru
Fair points - I need to work out what time to set off from home and don't want to be hanging around at the start. I notice that the control at the end opens from 3 which equates to a 14 mph average if setting of at 9 with a half hour break. Perhaps up to 15.4mph with an hour break.

I don't really want to be out all day on Saturday (would be getting at home around 4:30 if I arrived at control at 3). I'm not really interested in getting cards filled in at controls, more interested in doing some cycling on roads that I'm not that familiar with and possibly riding with some other cyclists.

I was planning on leaving home around 7, getting to the start at 8:15. If I left at 8:30 I reckon I would be home at 3 ish (using my shorter route).

I'll see how the land lies I think. Would be nice to ride with at least a few people at the start.

italiafirenze

World's Greatest Spy
If I can somehow get to the start (and the weather is reasonable) I'd like to this as far as waddington and then probably ride home as I need to be back to be back before 5pm. Would be a good warmup for next month/april's "Totally Wyred". Is any body driving out from this neck of the woods with a spare spot?

Edge705

I've just been considering this myself, how are you planning to get there? I can't see the route but I presume it starts and finishes in the same place?

Hi Italiafirenzi I now cannot do the evnt BUGGER!! Ive got to go to Scotland However I probably would have driven if you fancied it. Im now in search of another for the following week and I might just have a foray into the cheshire cat:ohmy:

ColinJ

Fair points - I need to work out what time to set off from home and don't want to be hanging around at the start. I notice that the control at the end opens from 3 which equates to a 14 mph average if setting of at 9 with a half hour break. Perhaps up to 15.4mph with an hour break.

I don't really want to be out all day on Saturday (would be getting at home around 4:30 if I arrived at control at 3). I'm not really interested in getting cards filled in at controls, more interested in doing some cycling on roads that I'm not that familiar with and possibly riding with some other cyclists.

I was planning on leaving home around 7, getting to the start at 8:15. If I left at 8:30 I reckon I would be home at 3 ish (using my shorter route).

I'll see how the land lies I think. Would be nice to ride with at least a few people at the start.
The perfect solution for you (apart from the even earlier start!) might be to set off at 08:00 with the people doing the full 200+ km NWP. If you are not bothered about the cards thing, then ride with them to as far as Gisburn which is where the Mini-NWP takes the shortcut across through Waddington. Leave them there and continue on the Mini-NWP route back solo! (Svendo might be doing the 200 km event so if you fancy my suggestion, give him a shout and maybe you could ride as far as Gisburn together?)

Steve H

Large Member
I'm gonna give this ride a miss this weekend. Been off the bike for around 3 weeks following my crash. I will get out for a ride this weekend, but not sure I'm up for 75 miles as a first ride.

Good luck to everyone riding - I'll be out riding with you all on a forum ride soon.

ColinJ

I'm gonna give this ride a miss this weekend. Been off the bike for around 3 weeks following my crash. I will get out for a ride this weekend, but not sure I'm up for 75 miles as a first ride.

Good luck to everyone riding - I'll be out riding with you all on a forum ride soon.
I intend to organise a 100 km forum ride for Saturday, 17th March Steve so try and keep that day free.

400bhp

Guru
The perfect solution for you (apart from the even earlier start!) might be to set off at 08:00 with the people doing the full 200+ km NWP. If you are not bothered about the cards thing, then ride with them to as far as Gisburn which is where the Mini-NWP takes the shortcut across through Waddington. Leave them there and continue on the Mini-NWP route back solo! (Svendo might be doing the 200 km event so if you fancy my suggestion, give him a shout and maybe you could ride as far as Gisburn together?)

The problem with this is that i would havwe to set off around 6:30 to get there for 8 and i'm not sure i want to be that early.

Top Bottom