north west roads

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

stephen.rooke

i did the manchester 100 mile ride last week and loved the roads around there. thinking of going for a ride around the area on sunday if the weathers good. can anyone reccommend a route or some areas to ride. might even have a ride around the city centre :d wont be doing another 100 miles tho :biggrin:

Jmetz

Get out towards the cat and fiddle outside of macclesfield

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
If you want flat head out to Jodrell Bank near Goostrey. Lots of lanes with no traffic around Mobberley and Lower Withington, Ollerton and Warford. The cafe at Jodrell is lovely and cyclist friendly. If you prefer hilly then the Brickworks via the Adlington cross roads is a lovely long climb without anything too severe.
How far do you want to go and where approx are you starting from?

400bhp

Guru
It's a bit of a random post. We don't know where you are starting from or how far you want to go.

Most of cheshire is good cycle territory - stay out of Crewe & you'll be fine.

OP
OP
stephen.rooke

stephen.rooke

will drive to wherever i start, i live in deeside just outside chester, think i want to do a flat run and get some speed in. ive mostly stuck to chester/wrexham and hoylake

400bhp

Guru
will drive to wherever i start, i live in deeside just outside chester, think i want to do a flat run and get some speed in. ive mostly stuck to chester/wrexham and hoylake

Knutsford an excellent place to start. Easy access from the Motorway.

Peowpeowpeowlasers

There are so many roads east of you that you could spend months exploring them and not find all the good routes there are.

However, may I suggest you park up in Mouldsworth and do the Manchester 100 route backwards, as far east as Knutsford. Then when you're on Ashley Road (the long straight a few miles off the start of the 100), turn right into Tatton Park. Go through there, through Knutsford town centre, south down the A50 Toft Road. It's a bit fast but its a huge wide road and I rarely have any issues there. Turn west at some point, wherever you like (Middlewich Road for instance), just aim for Davenham (south of Northwich), a lovely little village that'll let you skirt past all the main roads. Make sure you use Davenham Road and Shipbrook Road, it's all very picturesque. There's a cycle lane on the A556 at that point, a bit bumpy but useable. Use that to continue west and back home. That'll be about 50 miles or so.

Vale Royal Drive, just slightly west of Davenham, looks a lovely place to cycle but I'm not sure if its a right of way or not. Have a look at it on Google Maps.

You've also got Cholmondely to your southeast, very nice down there.

Cyclist33

I start a lot of my rides from Warrington to Knutsford which is kinda the warm-up, then head south and around and about from there. There are sooo many good roads. How far do you wish to ride? A nice ride from Knutsford goes due south for a mile or so on the A50 then takes the B5081 to Middlewich through Lower Peover and Byley, from Middlewich head east to Holmes Chapel then take the A535 Macclesfield Road. You could "go for a Jodrell Bank" or as I often do, go past the Twemlow Viaduct then take Forty Acre Lane through Swettenham, which is really lovely, and cross the ford over Swettenham Brook and then cross the River Dane, which you might walk as it's not a road as such. That will take you towards Kidsgrove but you can pick your way back west to Sandbach and then nip back up the A50 to Knutsford for a bit of a lark. I guess that's about 60 miles. You could then pop through Tatton Park if its open and then back to Knutsford along the parallel Mereheath Lane which would be nudging 70 miles and none of that is especially hilly.

Stu

Top Bottom