North Yorkshire End of Term Blast 21st July

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Julia9054

Guru
Inspired by some of the brilliant forum rides we have been on, @Almartino and i thought we would organise one of our own.
Starting in Knaresborough at 9.30, heading to Ripon via Bishop Monkton - including about half a mile of gravel - though Fountains Abbey deer park, then through Ripon to Wath and then through the Thornborough Henges (the most significant neolithic site in Europe outside Stonehenge) to West Tanfield and the Marmion Tower and back to Ripon for lunch at Olivers Pantry. From there, to Kirkby Malzeard, Laverton and then a long gradual climb over moor land to Brimham Rocks - possibly for ice cream - via a little sharp hill. Long down hill to Ripley and following a greenway connecting with the Beryl Burton cycleway finishing at the Half Moon in Knaresborough for those who like a pint (or a coffee)
About 65 miles in all
We have a Garmin route (gpx file) as soon as our limited technical skills can work out how to upload it.
We can also work out a shorter route going straight from Knaresborough and meeting at the lunch stop in Ripon making a ride of about 45 miles if some people would prefer to do that.

OP
OP
Julia9054

Julia9054

Guru
here it is (hopefully)

Attachments

• abbeys henges and weird rocks.gpx
    188 KB · Views: 127

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Excellent. My friend Lynne is probably joining us too so that will be three entire women!!
Unfortunately, Carrie won't be joining us for your ride after all - she is heading off to France on Sunday for a mini-tour vaguely following some parts of the Tour de France route so she can watch a few stages of the race and test herself on some of the big mountains.

I'm still looking forward to it though and so is Littgull.

Randomnerd

Bimbleur
Room for a little one?
I may be able to get over from York if the constellations collide correctly.
Would you PM the meeting point please @Julia9054? Leisure ride with chatter, I presume? I'm no Racing Reptile....

I've just seen @ColinJ's post. Like Colin I was looking forward to this ride but it will likely be too difficult and fraught to get to Knaresborough by train. Sorry @Julia9054.
It's about time Northern Rail dropped their vindictive and unsafe plan to introduce driver only operated trains and settled this long running dispute.

Top Bottom