Northumberland

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Senior Management & myself are heading up there, shortly for a week away
We're stopping a mile or so, as the Seagull flies, from Bamburgh Castle, in a (seemingly) very quiet/sheltered spot

It's about 15 years since we were last up there, when we were on a caravan site at East Ord (Berwick-upon-Tweed), when I had my Land-Rover 90CSW-V8 & a Swift twin-axle BSWOW

I'm trying to put a hi-list together of where to go/what to do
- Alnwick will be visited, as I have memories of; https://www.barterbooks.co.uk/
- Lindisfarne (tide-times dependant)
- Berwick-upon-Tweed
- Craster
- Seahouses (a friend of ours is now the Parish Priest near there, having been the Dean at Wakefield Cathedral)
- Wooler
- possibly Kirk Yetholm (due to its Pennine Way connections)

I hope to get to Rothbury, for Cragside this time, mainly for the Armstrong connection (Bamburgh Castle has - had?- a museum)

Any other suggestions?
SWMBO's not walking far at the moment, due to Plantar Fasciitis, so (sadly) no hikes/route-marches

EDIT @ 20:45
I have been warned, already about it turning into a tour of old roads/bridge/mile-posts, etc......
As one of my interests, (& I will be on the look out for features) is the 'Great North Road', in its pre 60s' guise, when it passed through a lot of towns & villages

I've already been photocopying pages of one of my books....:angel:
(the 'Then & Now')

I'll make the deal with her, that I'll only look at certain sections, that I can't normally get to, on my days-off
(ie; above the North Yorkshire border)

Last edited:
You've got the main ones. The Farnes may not be on this time of year. Warkworth castle is a possibility, Chillingham wild cattle & castle. Dunstanburgh castle is a bit of a hike from craster, but craster by itself doesn't have much. As you say Alnwick is good (caste,gardens,...) & Cragside is intetesting.

Tbh, much depends on the weather. Calling @Fnaar ?

tom73

Guru
Don’t forget the Grace Darling Museum at Bamburgh. Worth a look just to see the actual boat upstarts has a good view out over the headland. Church opposite has Darling connection too inc her grave. Both free too.

tom73

Guru
+1 barter books it’s a cool place stuffed with all sorts inc a model train traveling round.
They do pay what you want coffee too.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
You're right, there is a small museum within Bamburgh castle and it has a bit of stuff with more Armstrong links, along with wartime and other stuff. Nice tea room in there too, although if pushed I'd say that the Copper Kettle in Bamburgh village is a bit nicer.

As has been said, Craster is nice, but there isn't a lot there apart from the kipper smokehouse. It's a nice walk to Dunstanburgh castle from there, but not sure if that would be on the cards for you?

If the weather is kind, three of the best beaches in the world (IMHO) are right on your doorstep - from Bamburgh down to Seahouses, the glorious Beadnell Bay and best of the lot, Embleton Bay.

Edit to add, don't forget to go see this in Bamburgh.

Last edited:
Also, when heading up, if you're stopping off in Newcastle, the old Hancock museum got a big facelift a few years ago.

keithmac

Guru
Craster Kippers!.

Been up there a few times now, lovely part of the country.

Don’t forget the Grace Darling Museum at Bamburgh. Worth a look just to see the actual boat upstarts has a good view out over the headland. Church opposite has Darling connection too inc her grave. Both free too.
Went in it last time, but as stated, it was quite a few years ago

Was in Barter books and came out with several purchases just a couple of years ago. Huge place where you could easily lose days at a time. Well worth a visit.
As above:okay:
And, yes, I will be going
Even if I leave SWMBO at the Mill & go myself

the coastal path from just past the Barn at BEAL to Berwick is a great ride but not suitable for a road bike...
Sadly no bikes involved:blink:

You're right, there is a small museum within Bamburgh castle and it has a bit of stuff with more Armstrong links, along with wartime and other stuff.
If the weather is kind, three of the best beaches in the world (IMHO) are right on your doorstep - from Bamburgh down to Seahouses, the glorious Beadnell Bay and best of the lot, Embleton Bay.

Edit to add, don't forget to go see this in Bamburgh.
I remember the beaches
And, I knew about, but didn't see the Memorial last time
I shall remedy that!!

Alex H

Legendary Member
Another couple, depending on your interest(s) :whistle:

Hauxley Wildlife Centre - a converted open cast pit / bird sanctuary - well worth the free entrance and a great cafe

Hardy Fishing Tackle Museum - part of the Hardy factory in Alnwick.

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
Senior Management & myself are heading up there, shortly for a week away
We're stopping a mile or so, as the Seagull flies, from Bamburgh Castle, in a (seemingly) very quiet/sheltered spot

It's about 15 years since we were last up there, when we were on a caravan site at East Ord (Berwick-upon-Tweed), when I had my Land-Rover 90CSW-V8 & a Swift twin-axle BSWOW

I'm trying to put a hi-list together of where to go/what to do
- Alnwick will be visited, as I have memories of; https://www.barterbooks.co.uk/
- Lindisfarne (tide-times dependant)
- Berwick-upon-Tweed
- Craster
- Seahouses (a friend of ours is now the Parish Priest near there, having been the Dean at Wakefield Cathedral)
- Wooler
- possibly Kirk Yetholm (due to its Pennine Way connections)

I hope to get to Rothbury, for Cragside this time, mainly for the Armstrong connection (Bamburgh Castle has - had?- a museum)

Any other suggestions?
SWMBO's not walking far at the moment, due to Plantar Fasciitis, so (sadly) no hikes/route-marches

EDIT @ 20:45
I have been warned, already about it turning into a tour of old roads/bridge/mile-posts, etc......
As one of my interests, (& I will be on the look out for features) is the 'Great North Road', in its pre 60s' guise, when it passed through a lot of towns & villages

I've already been photocopying pages of one of my books....:angel:
(the 'Then & Now')
View attachment 488206

I'll make the deal with her, that I'll only look at certain sections, that I can't normally get to, on my days-off
(ie; above the North Yorkshire border)
You've got the main ones. The Farnes may not be on this time of year. Warkworth castle is a possibility, Chillingham wild cattle & castle. Dunstanburgh castle is a bit of a hike from craster, but craster by itself doesn't have much. As you say Alnwick is good (caste,gardens,...) & Cragside is intetesting.

Tbh, much depends on the weather. Calling @Fnaar ?
Ooh, books look interesting. The old great north road goes past the front door of where I used to live (I'm now about 500 yards away from it :-)

tbh, Berwick looks lovely as you get views of it, but in my opinion the town itself is a disappointment. Same goes for Seahouses, but this is useful if you fancy a boat trip out the Farnes (take a couple of hours there and back). Craster is great for kippers and has a decent pub and a couple of nice cafes. Wooler is fine, Rothbury and Cragside, yes, definitely. Warkworth castle is great, and the town is lovely too. Alnwick castle and gardens (the latter is not my thing, but ..). You said no big hikes, but if you fancy a bit of a beach stroll, try Embleton Bay or Druridge Bay.
If you can, get up early one morning and watch the sun rise over the north sea ... can be spectacular. A trip out to Kielder Water is worth the drive, and there is also a 'clear skies' observatory there, for great night-viewing of squillions of stars and whatnot. For a complete and slightly bizarre/spooky oddity (and amid lovely countryside) go to see Winter's Gibbet ... nothing to do there, just see an old gibbet and read the history, but the countryside around is great. Otterburn is nice too, for a good drive and some decent cafes. Low Newton has a great pub and also lovely beach stroll with Dunstanburgh Castle in view. Please ask if you want any more details.

Last edited:
Top Bottom