Memorials and bikes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Saw the Vulcan at an airshow at Manston years ago - something between beautiful and horrifying - it kind of floated in, then turned upwards to climb with the engines roaring like something from hell. Seem to remember, or maybe I imagined it, that it even did a roll.

edit - this may have been it - unless there was another appearance a year or two later.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hnuQEd_72vs

Last edited:
OP
OP
biggs682

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Looking at your location, would appreciate a pic of the grave of the woman who came incredibly close to cbanging european history by ridding it of the buffoon mussolini in an incident later echoed in another incident with reserve buffoon berlusconi.
@Blue Hills give me a clue please

Here you are biggs

https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/43491393/violet-albina-gibson

A while ago I had a ride planned from Newark to London (didn't do in the end due to severe weather) and I was going to pop into that cemetery to try to find the grave/pay my respects.

Mussolini "showed mercy" and she came back to the UK soon afterwards but it rather looks as if a shoddy deal was done to bang her up in an asylum for the rest of her life.

In a weird echo, years later when the Italian public decided to bestow their favours on Berlusconi (him and Benito are the two longest serving/most popular chiefs in Italian history) Berlusconi also suffered an attack which injured his nose and like Benito before him appeared with a bandage on it to show how he had been saved by God the Virgin Mary or whatever to continue his good works/trashing of Italy's reputation.

I don't know how close you are to there but if you go and find it please let me know - the grave might take a bit of finding as it is, as you can see, rather small and plain.

edit -
also this

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Violet_Gibson

which I looked up as on reading that findagrave text I was pretty sure, from my memory of reading a book about her, that Benito wasn't shot in his car but when strutting his stuff amongst the adoring crowd - wiki confirms that - not altogether surprising as that grave site text also mi-spells Italian!

You can see from the wiki entry how close she came to finishing the buffoon off.

Last edited:

plantfit

Guru
Saw the Vulcan at an airshow at Manston years ago - something between beautiful and horrifying - it kind of floated in, then turned upwards to climb with the engines roaring like something from hell. Seem to remember, or maybe I imagined it, that it even did a roll.

edit - this may have been it - unless there was another appearance a year or two later.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hnuQEd_72vs

Lovely,awsome,frightening, how else can you describe the Vulcan, the one in the video would have been XH558 the last flying Vulcan now grounded,shame

OP
OP
biggs682

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Here you are biggs

https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/43491393/violet-albina-gibson

A while ago I had a ride planned from Newark to London (didn't do in the end due to severe weather) and I was going to pop into that cemetery to try to find the grave/pay my respects.

Mussolini "showed mercy" and she came back to the UK soon afterwards but it rather looks as if a shoddy deal was done to bang her up in an asylum for the rest of her life.

In a weird echo, years later when the Italian public decided to bestow their favours on Berlusconi (him and Benito are the two longest serving/most popular chiefs in Italian history) Berlusconi also suffered an attack which injured his nose and like Benito before him appeared with a bandage on it to show how he had been saved by God the Virgin Mary or whatever to continue his good works/trashing of Italy's reputation.

I don't know how close you are to there but if you go and find it please let me know - the grave might take a bit of finding as it is, as you can see, rather small and plain.

edit -
also this

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Violet_Gibson

which I looked up as on reading that findagrave text I was pretty sure, from my memory of reading a book about her, that Benito wasn't shot in his car but when strutting his stuff amongst the adoring crowd - wiki confirms that - not altogether surprising as that grave site text also mi-spells Italian!

You can see from the wiki entry how close she came to finishing the buffoon off.

Ok I accept the challenge just might have to wait till I am doing 15+ mile rides as at the moment only doing under 10 due to my back

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Spitfire and Hurricane at the Folkstone war memorial taken during yesterday's Audax

20190427_154024.jpg

20190427_153834_003.jpg

Last edited:

booze and cake

probably out cycling
View attachment 465246 Calling @booze and cake . It took a while but here is the Merckx with Merckx.

:laugh:Nice work, I approve, and despite his poker face, I'm sure Eddy does too^_^. Love the colour scheme on that frame:okay:

:laugh:Nice work, I approve, and despite his poker face, I'm sure Eddy does too^_^. Love the colour scheme on that frame:okay:

Thank you.:smile:

The frame is fab, in every respect. I have been lucky with “matching” parts. The pedals are Gipiemme SPD road pedals from the mid 1990s and the big yellow transfers on the wheels go well:okay:. The bar tape is now custom camo, yes, yellow with grease marks:laugh:.

There is an outside chance the bike will be on the TV the TdF,. As I arrived there was a camera crew taking stick footage for TV companies to use in July, so they took a few shots of the bike and a short interview with me on the importance of Eddy Merckx.:okay:

booze and cake

probably out cycling
Thank you.:smile:

The frame is fab, in every respect. I have been lucky with “matching” parts. The pedals are Gipiemme SPD road pedals from the mid 1990s and the big yellow transfers on the wheels go well:okay:. The bar tape is now custom camo, yes, yellow with grease marks:laugh:.

There is an outside chance the bike will be on the TV the TdF,. As I arrived there was a camera crew taking stick footage for TV companies to use in July, so they took a few shots of the bike and a short interview with me on the importance of Eddy Merckx.:okay:

:laugh: That's excellent, talk about good karma, it wasn't just me telling you to take that bike there, it was destiny^_^. I've no idea what you look like, but I'd recognise the bike^_^, so I'll keep my eyes peeled when the Tour comes round:okay:

Top Bottom