Norton goes into administration.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 26715

Wasn't the guy who designed the original Honda 4 cylinder an ex-Norton man? or is it folklore that he took his designs to the management of Norton who said they didn't need new engines & that people would never go for them, they only want twins, he sent the designs to Honda & as above the rest is history.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Wasn't the guy who designed the original Honda 4 cylinder an ex-Norton man? or is it folklore that he took his designs to the management of Norton who said they didn't need new engines & that people would never go for them, they only want twins, he sent the designs to Honda & as above the rest is history.
I've heard similar. The difference also was that Honda paid attention to quality control, whereas the British attitude had become "Think yourself lucky to have one at all, now go away and stop whining".

raleighnut

Legendary Member
As I read the Norton situation it has been caused by the tax man/government, they were expecting a rebate of £300,000 due to the amount they'd spent on R&D developing new machines but that has not been forthcoming.

Oh and their main markets have been America and Japan so the drop in the pound due to B$&%*t hasn't helped the cashflow situation :cursing:

Pale Rider

Legendary Member

Multi cylinder bikes were not a Japanese invention, but like so many good ideas, they refined the design to make it practical, affordable, and desirable.

The British designed Aeriel Square Four started production in the 1930s.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ariel_Square_Four

Smudge

Veteran
I remember when they revived the Commando back in the late 00's, its a stunning looking motorcycle and always draws a crowd on the extremely rare occasions you see one parked up. But like many boutique brands, you often get build quality and reliability issues. They improved the mk2, but it was still an expensive bike that was only going to sell in small numbers.
I never have got to ride one, but i imagine it has character in spades, and of course that iconic name.

Drago

Legendary Member
They haven't hung on so long. they died a while back, and the current incarnation was a business buying the rights to the name, but then not managing it so adroitly as Bloor with Triumph. Shame, but launching a very expensive luxury lifestyle product is always dicey, and to do so while the world econo my was in the doldrums means that even export markets weren't likely to respond well to the product.

D

Deleted member 26715

The British designed Aeriel Square Four started production in the 1930s.
Actually they weren't, the Italians (I think) built an inline 4 North/South rather than East/West like the Japanese ones, but neither were chain driven overhead camshaft, which was the big leap made by the Japanese.

Edit:- Belgium https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FN_Four

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Actually they weren't, the Italians (I think) built an inline 4 North/South rather than East/West like the Japanese ones, but neither were chain driven overhead camshaft, which was the big leap made by the Japanese.

Edit:- Belgium https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FN_Four
Errr the Henderson 4 was first produced in 1912, this is the later 1301cc 1920 model

Henderson-1920-Model-k-EJ-1.jpg

D

Deleted member 26715

Errr the Henderson 4 was first produced in 1912, this is the later 1301cc 1920 model

View attachment 502669
As my edit above I raise your 1912 & present you with 1905 I feel today as if I remember it well

280px-FN_363_cc_viercilinder_1905.jpg

Levo-Lon

Guru
Suprising that they have hung on so long. I am Moto Guzzi man and sd would have folded a long time ago if we were not linked to Vespa and Aprilla.

Me too, expensive and not really a must have bike.
Japanese and Italian bikes for me and Triumph but there japanese anyway.

Shame the brand has gone again but someone may revive it

D

Deleted member 26715

In 1978 I used to have a 1963 Bonneville engine in a Norton Featherbed frame, it handled fantastic but the boys on the Jap 250's could leave me for dead in a straight line. Always wanted a Black Commando, but feel it will be one of those things that once ridden I might be disappointed.

Levo-Lon

Guru
In 1978 I used to have a 1963 Bonneville engine in a Norton Featherbed frame, it handled fantastic but the boys on the Jap 250's could leave me for dead in a straight line. Always wanted a Black Commando, but feel it will be one of those things that once ridden I might be disappointed.

Often the case, rose tints

Top Bottom