Norton goes into administration.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
About the HA, i read Sonny Barger's book some years back. Originally the HA used Triumphs, then switched to HD. In SB's opinion in the book, they should have stayed with Triumph, but ended up being stuck with HD.
I read that too. He also said that if the club were formed today they'd probably be riding Honda VFRs.

Smudge

Veteran
I read that too. He also said that if the club were formed today they'd probably be riding Honda VFRs.

:laugh: I dont remember him saying that, but i'd sure like to see that happen.

D

Deleted member 26715

I would have thought it would be BMW R1250GS's

MarkF

Guru
I agree with Triumph but not HD, well not in the US which is their biggest market, the protectionism & patriotism will keep them alive.

You are right but elsewhere? It's a right expensive palaver getting a license no wonder kids don't bother and have little interest, The "lifestyle" sellers (Triumph/Ducati/Guzzi/HD) are chasing the same ever dwindling market and their prices are out of synch with any potential new one. Be great if Brexit could allow a simpler route for UK kids and got them mobile quicker and cheaper than the 4 wheeled route.

Smudge

Veteran
I recall that quote but am sure it wasn't a VFR, it was a lardy bike, a Goldwing or Pan European perhaps?

You may be right, it must be 15 years since i read his book. I still have it on my bookshelf, so i shall read it again sometime.

D

Deleted member 26715

Be great if Brexit could allow a simpler route for UK kids and got them mobile quicker and cheaper than the 4 wheeled route.
That's another one of my manifesto promises, you can't have a car license until you have held a motorcycle license for minimum of 2 years & can prove you've ridden at least 5,000 miles. Along with no teacher is allowed to do the school, college, university, school, they have to have at least 2 years out of the education loop at some point.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
I recall that quote but am sure it wasn't a VFR, it was a lardy bike, a Goldwing or Pan European perhaps?
I think you're right with the Pan European. My mistake.

Re the test, a friend of ours has just gone through it. Jesus, what a palaver and a massive expense. I can't help thinking it has gone beyond the point of reason and some of it is just overkill.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 26715

I think you're right with the Pan European. My mistake.

Re the test, a friend of ours has just gone through it. Jesus, what a palaver and a massive expense. I can't help thinking it has gone beyond the point of reason and some of it is just overkill.
They don't want motorbikes on the road do they, if you have motorbikes drivers have to be more observant

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
Bump. This situation sounds like it will get even worse before it gets any better. Terrible lack of oversight from government, banks & mainsteam media (MCN seem now to have decided their fulsome praise of Garner wasn't warranted...no **** Sherlock). Comprehensive summation of events so far https://www.bikerglory.com/news/norton-2020/ First of a series of interviews with (very) injured parties here…https://www.superbike.co.uk/article/norton-was-it-a-fraud-from-the-start

A few customer bikes returned to the factory for minor work went from this...
EROFNV5X0AAOvJ7?format=jpg&name=large.jpg

to this
EROFNVxXUAAvwez?format=jpg&name=large.jpg

100% deposits of up to £45k up in smoke, and so on. BDO (administrators) are apparently hopeful of finding a buyer. Fingers crossed for some good news for some creditors…

D

Deleted member 26715

100% deposits of up to £45k up in smoke, and so on. BDO (administrators) are apparently hopeful of finding a buyer. Fingers crossed for some good news for some creditors…
Maybe it's jealousy but £45K for a motorcycle!! More money than sense

D

Deleted member 26715

I can think of at least one motorcycle I'd pay that (or more) for ... this one is £60k . I could be tempted, hey, it's an investment after all
As said it's likely to be jealousy, or the fact I'm a Yorkshireman, but that no bike is worth that kind of money, i have always wondered what would happen if ever I had enough money to buy a £100K car, could I actually do it, I doubt it very much.

Top Bottom