Norton goes into administration.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Suprising that they have hung on so long. I am Moto Guzzi man and sd would have folded a long time ago if we were not linked to Vespa and Aprilla.

pawl

Legendary Member
Am sorry to hear about Norton’s problem,Tiumph managed to rescue the brand.To decrepit to ride motorcycles these days There catalogue shows a great range of bikes Perhaps Norton missed a trick with there range.

You can't survive on lore and sentiment alone. You have to innovate.
Brands like these rely on the offspring of people who used to own the original item. These people make nostalgic purchases and once this source dries up...belly-up it goes.

Another tankslapper bites the dust.

Dirk

If 6 Was 9
You can't survive on lore and sentiment alone. You have to innovate.
Brands like these rely on the offspring of people who used to own the original item. These people make nostalgic purchases and once this source dries up...belly-up it goes.

Another tankslapper bites the dust.
Just about the only bike I've never had a tank slapper on.
My Norton Atlas on the road, and the Manx Norton I raced were both extremely stable and predictable.

Just about the only bike I've never had a tank slapper on.
My Norton Atlas on the road, and the Manx Norton I raced were both extremely stable and predictable.
My comment was just a little jibe to twitch some sphincters. I've only ever ridden Bonnies. I still like the look of the Manx though but could never afford one.
I'll tell you what can't be disputed: "Another oil leak bites the dust."

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
I remember a neighbour having a Norton Dominator (Dommy) 650SS, a great looking bike with an amazing noise when he gave it some beans.
(He fitted a steering damper after a scary tank slapper he only just managed to save.)

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
The name "Norton" means nothing to anyone under 50. They went about it all wrong when they relaunched the brand and started making Commando replicas. Firstly the Japanese and now the Chinese are showing the proper way to do it - start off with small capacity learner and commuter machines, make them work, attract the younger riders and build a brand loyalty that will last. Then when you are in a position to start getting into the serious end of the market with large capacity machines you have a ready customer base who trust the name. My biking career started on learner friendly Hondas and thanks to the quality of those bikes they were the first name I looked for whenever I bought a new bike, and if I were to get back into it that would still be the case.

OP
OP
Cycleops

Cycleops

Legendary Member
I remember when small Hondas first started appearing at the local motorcycle store all clean and antiseptic next to the oily Beezers James and Nortons. Quite a few were skeptical but they soon caught on. I remember a mechanic telling me they were no good and made of 'monkey metal', not like a proper British bike. The rest is history.

Top Bottom