England : Cambridgeshire Not a Christmas Friday Night ride - 11th December

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
That's the one I'm on, so if there's a chase involved, at least there'll be two of us. Maybe @Flying Dodo could share the route with one of us nearer the time just in case?
Damn and Blast! Mrs slowmotion just reminded me that we have to be at a wedding in Hampshire on the Saturday afternoon. I've done a London wedding after a FNRttC, but Hampshire would be a challenge. It looks like I'm going to have to dip. Very sorry.

mmmmartin

Random geezer
Would I need to prepare my bike any differently from my usual winter's evening commutes, ie, strap on some lights and bring spare clothing/flapjack supply?
have a shuftie at
http://fridaynightridetothecoast.blogspot.co.uk/p/the-basics.html
and trawl around the website while you read, mark learn and inwardly digest those golden words of wisdom.
two things you need to look after:
1. the bike. check your tyres for flints - i use a magnifying glass - and remove all bits of tiny stone thus lessening the chance of everyone on the ride hating you (and all your family going back eight generations) as you make them stand around for ages in freezing temperatures while you faff and fix your third puncture of the night. Have a light that allows you to see where you're going at 12mph in total darkness and batteries that will last from midnight until dawn at 8am. ensure brakes work so you don't crash into someone else through incompetence.
2. You. Although the thought may have occurred to you that's it's bloody cold at 4am in a December wind while you wait for someone else to fix a puncture, in actual fact it's much colder than that. And really, it's colder than even that. On the Southend run a few years ago the temperature unexpectedly fell to minus 7c (forecast was plus 4c). The waterbottles froze and there was sheet ice on the road. I was OK with seven layers (double layer cotton winter riding jacket, thermal underwear, windproof gilet, three cycling shirts) so carry some warm clothing as a spare - and hope you won't need it. Mittens are better than gloves, and a Buff keeps your neck warm and your face if you lift it up. A warm hat is deffo needed for me as I am follicly challenged.
finally, if you do something really stupid someone else might be hurt and take umbrage and sue you. Third party insurance such as provided by the CTC is a good idea, and mandatory on official FNRttC rides so you might like to make sure you have that.
finally, finally, don't forget to remember to take your sense of humour as riding with that bunch is going to be hilarious from beginning to end and may well change your life. if that happens, save up your pennies until you have two of Her Majesty's English Pounds and take a shuftie at http://fridaynightridetothecoast.blogspot.co.uk/p/like-our-rides-join-fridays.html
hope to see on the road sometime. I'm elsewhere for this ride, but turn up for others now and again.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
I may be keen, although I've never been on a night ride like this before, so convincing my partner that I'm not completely mad might be a little tricky!

Would I need to prepare my bike any differently from my usual winter's evening commutes, ie, strap on some lights and bring spare clothing/flapjack supply?

A good idea is a detachable light you can shine at mechanicals, signposts, and the hedge to stop you falling into a ditch when you want a pee.

A lot of long distance night cyclists carry a cheapo head torch for this purpose.

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
Still thinking about this. As it's during Christmas pressure there is absolutely no chance of getting out the door before 9.30, which makes getting the 9.38 train of choice exceedingly tight, if not impossible (three or four minutes to get my gear and get to the bike, a couple of minutes to get to the station). If- and it's a big if- I make that train, I might just make the 2314 from Kings Cross (arrives five past midnight). Could definitely make the 2208 train up and then over to Liverpool Street in plenty of time for the 2358 service. That line's a much better option if I need to join up en route- pretty much every stop is nearby. Gets into Great Chesterford just after 1, for example- wouldn't have too much of a wait there. I don't know what overtime I've been listed for yet, might be down for some on Saturday anyway.

Last edited:

Tim Hall

I might be able to make this. @Flying Dodo, my Friday affiliated ctc membership has lapsed and i can't remember the last time I crossed anyone's palm with two quid either. What's the next step?

I might be able to make this. @Flying Dodo, my Friday affiliated ctc membership has lapsed and i can't remember the last time I crossed anyone's palm with two quid either. What's the next step?
@Tim Hall
Details about to go out to everyone on the Fridays mailing list shortly, but.... as per post #93 above by @mmmmartin, you can pay your £2 for 2016 using the PayPal link halfway down this page. :okay:

Stephen C

Über Member
Thanks for the advice, it all sounds like common sense! Incidentally I was digging out flints from my tyres this afternoon ready for the week, and I'm sure that I can practise changing an inner tube to get my average time under an hour....

finally, finally, don't forget to remember to take your sense of humour
I assume this is available in most good bike shops, somewhere near the tartan frame paint and headlight fluid?

Tim Hall

@Tim Hall
Details about to go out to everyone on the Fridays mailing list shortly, but.... as per post #93 above by @mmmmartin, you can pay your £2 for 2016 using the PayPal link halfway down this page. :okay:
Ah, excellent. Thanks for that. FWIW, when I view the Fridays website on my mobile, using the Samsung native browser,all the links to the various links show up as "Home". Clicking on them then reveals what lies beneath.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Ah, excellent. Thanks for that. FWIW, when I view the Fridays website on my mobile, using the Samsung native browser,all the links to the various links show up as "Home". Clicking on them then reveals what lies beneath.
Follow the link to "view web version" link at the bottom. (I expect you've worked that out already)

Top Bottom