Not a Christmas Night Ride to Bognor

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
It was now light as we still hadn't been rushing, and so we reached Amberley after 7.45 and saw the fields behind completely covered in water.

Glad the 4 of you made it to here. And glad you saw Amberley Brooks covered in water. Note to mt235: this is where water flowing over Stream lane and other places eventually congregates. Yes, really! Hard to believe when seen in summer.

martint235

Dog on a bike
I did go through some water, very slowly. And then Adam pointed out the ditch with the stream in it to me. It wasn't long afterwards that we descended a mud covered hill where I had absolutely no traction on the rear wheel which was "interesting"

TimO

Guru
I did go through some water, very slowly. And then Adam pointed out the ditch with the stream in it to me. It wasn't long afterwards that we descended a mud covered hill where I had absolutely no traction on the rear wheel which was "interesting"

Hmm, I don't remember any hill like that, which probably says more about my level of awake-ness!

Having said that, often with things like mud and ice, the best thing you can do is keep on going straight ahead, not braking, accelerating, or turning, so not noticing anything and freewheeling obliviously down it would have worked fine (aside from the racket from my freewheel).

martint235

Dog on a bike
Hmm, I don't remember any hill like that, which probably says more about my level of awake-ness!

Having said that, often with things like mud and ice, the best thing you can do is keep on going straight ahead, not braking, accelerating, or turning, so not noticing anything and freewheeling obliviously down it would have worked fine (aside from the racket from my freewheel).

I was just behind Adam and I thankfully noticed his rear wheel sliding so I just pointed my front wheel straight down and hoped!!

Davywalnuts

Chief Kebab Taster
Well, where do I start....

I've always wanted to be a Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle when I was younger. I wanted to be Donatello, I even named my first cat after the great Bow Staff'ed warrier cum Pizza Eater, but didnt quite think some 20 years later I would still be replicating my childhood hero.

A hero in a half shell I was not however....

So, the elusive Bognor ride... so near yet so far..

It was cold, but not as cold as we new it. I wrapped up warm, wayyyyyyyy to warm infact. But as it turned out, that padding turned out usefull.. I really was in two minds over this ride. Tied and coldness vs the excitement of a night ride and seeing my cycling chums. So, off I went at about half 10.. ish... I knew with in a few miles I was too hot, but I was convinced it would get colder so I cycled a bit slower and had faith that I would be fine. For note, I was wearing 4 layers on my feet, 3 on my legs, 5 on my body, 2 on my hands, balaclava, buff, hat and helmet cover, I was snug as a bug in a rug... if I wasnt moving... Movment was quite restrictive, so note to myself, winter tights and a differant top/jacket/something.

I arrived in good time to see the fellow travellers and perv over a nice new shiney bike sporting not a spec of dirt, if only Ian was around I thought. And so off we set.

The route itself was coming back to me as not done that run in quite a while and everthing was going smoothly. Until Stu's left hooker, and not the "Lady of the night" variety either... All things have been said here, but I do hope Stu if okay. And so off we set. I was really struggling on the inclines and was getting very very conscious of slowing the proceedings up, of which I am sorry. Am not the greatest hill climber, but I was crap to be frank during the ride. I think back and would conclude a few errors on my behalf. One, was the clothing, this was a major factor, i was just baked to be honest, but too sweaty to take the layers off due to chilling, catch 21 like. Secondly, too many miles this month, been really pushing it and dead legs showed. And thirdly, a hot bath a few hours before hand.. well, thats what am concluding anyhow.

Everyone was riding nicely and great thanks go to the planning and particpants on this ride, thanks!

So, we got to Pease Pottage for food and refreshment and in my case, to cool down. I was drenched through with sweat, great for the waistline I thought. Off we set again a short while later, and in my case and typically, the last off. So, I saw the red lights in the distance and off I went, in a straight line, route 1 like, and then, WHAM, wtf, I was on the floor in pain with out a clue how I had got there. My knee, my back I thought and intially, I couldnt move, balls, to but it nicely. I was on the floor for a small amount of time manually checking myself over and trusting I wasnt broken and fully with it. I find the best policy in these cases is to giggle and relax and not to stress. I was now surrounded by my fellow rider and things were coming back to me. But how the hell did I not see that curb!! As Adam as said, poor lighting, slightly misted glasses that were just de-misting and a school boy error caused this mishap. In checking over the bike, as Timo has said, the front wheel was gone, wonky and bent good and proper with a bent spoke, from the impact I guess. Front tyre was still inflated, good old Durano's there for ya. The handle bars were wonky and twisted and I was convinced the forks where bent. If the wheel was fine, I think I would have carried on, quite glad I didnt though. And so off to the train station I went, very very slowly, embaressingly slowly, but it had to be done. And so, the Journey home was fine, to begin with. Some lads on the train were lashed and still drinking, how tempting it was to buy a beer off them, especially as 'teef had texted saying how close in time he was to beer time, but I resisted. And then, the journey became a nightmare. South West trains engineering works with rail replacement services, great! So with great convincing and help from a member of staff but great disgust from the bus driver, I was on a bus to Richmond station. By now, my knee was giving up on me and so was my bladder and so to top it off, the toilets at Richmond were out of order, flooded, apparently and I had just missed my train, which it seems was not going direct to Whitton, grrrrr I thought, until I saw a closed sign for a cafe saying "closed, shut happen". I giggled and things seemed better until I got to Twickenham and it was raining.. sod the wait, I cycled home, slowly. And so I got home about the same time as the fantastic four got to Bognor. Could have cycle home in that time I thought..

And so, that was that... my target of a 1000 mile month ruined, but I and phone was fine. Body is wrecked and bruised all over and new bike parts needed and fitted yesterday. But great thanks to Adam, Timo, Stu and Martin for the great ride, patience and help, great people to be around, thank you.

Davywalnuts

Chief Kebab Taster
My gashed knee.. albeit it feels alot worse than it looks!

Attachments

• Knee.jpg
    Knee.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 48
I couldnt move, balls,
Funny way to test if you're feeling OK Davy! Nice report - far more exciting than the slippy-slidy moments of the ones that made it! :smile:
Well done all - masochists.
When I texted you in the early hours and said I was going for a beer or two...this was the view. Not quite Pease Pottage on a cold night but...

1498k83.jpg

[QUOTE 1247015"]
Great write up! I can't believe you wore so many layers.
[/quote]

That's true. I have visions of Davy looking like one of Greggs finest flaky pastry sausage rolls! :smile:

Davywalnuts

Chief Kebab Taster
Come on Davy! Gashed? Lightly grazed perhaps..... :B)

Glad you're ok. I didn't actually see you come off the bike, one second you were there the next you weren't. There was an impressive sound effect though!!

Aye, grazed indeed, but my thick skin never shows much damage or bruising but believe me, my body is shagged.

Thanks and yes, but am not quite sure at what stage I let out my yelp or if it was manly enough too? I think it was mid-flight, in that split second of wanting to make sure I was not left for too long on my own, like a drunk laying on the floor, either way, you lot were great, thanks!

You know what lee, if I hadnt, it may not have happened.... hindsight...

'Teef, am rather jealous.. Part of me wanted to come and meet you for a beer, but the other 90% of me was flaking like the afroementioned sausage roll.. nom nom nom!

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
Ouch indeed Davy. Take it easy for a bit. Wrist is OK, the SMIDSY definitely wasn't as bad as it could have been. Scratched up, but no aches or pains The other wounds (from my entirely self-inflicted prang on Thursday- took a frosty corner too tight and too fast) are getting there slowly.

TimO

Guru
I don't think anyone saw Davy come off, I was the nearest and just heard a vague "Argh..." in the background. I called to the others (I don't think Adam heard me, but he was eventually chased down) and turned back, where I was greeted by the site of Davy lying on his back going (quite literally) "Ouch, ouch, ouch, ouch, ouch..." which continued for a few minutes.

The best of my photos, which aren't very good. With night rides you either get a dark, blurry and grainy image or a series of bright retroflective blobs if you use a flash. I think the only solution is a tripod and a remote flash, none of which is conveniently portable.

The brand new Red bike, up for it's first real ride in night ride mode.

RedBike_NightRideMode_Thumb640.jpg

The three of us at Hyde Park corner (l2r - Martin, Stewart, and yours truly). Thanks to Adam for taking this photo.

DNtCNRttC_3_of_5.jpg

Davy's arrival (l2r - Davy, Stewart, Adam, Martin).

DNtCNRttC_HydeParkCorner.jpg

At Pease Pottage service station (l2r - Stewart, Davy, Adam, Martin), shortly before Davy's flight.

DNtCNRttC_PeasePottage.jpg

The final few, on arrival outside the Boat House, although we had breakfast in the Lobster Pot (l2r Martin, Stewart, Adam).

DNtCNRttC_AtBognor.jpg

Davywalnuts

Chief Kebab Taster
I don't think anyone saw Davy come off, I was the nearest and just heard a vague "Argh..." in the background. I called to the others (I don't think Adam heard me, but he was eventually chased down) and turned back, where I was greeted by the site of Davy lying on his back going (quite literally) "Ouch, ouch, ouch, ouch, ouch..." which continued for a few minutes.

Hahahaha, just laughed my socks off at remembering that and this which quite equally made me wet myself, again!

View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iqpkbV924i4

Davy did well! If I had been in his position, I would have stopped my vocabulary carousel at the 'F's...and Adam would have heard alright!

Tim - have the builders not finished sorting your bike out? There seems to be a bit of 'scaffolding a la Stuaff' on the back! All I can say to you is; don't carry cake back there, and mind the catseyes when you start the speed wobble on Reigate Hill. :smile:

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
Davy did well! If I had been in his position, I would have stopped my vocabulary carousel at the 'F's...and Adam would have heard alright!

Tim - have the builders not finished sorting your bike out? There seems to be a bit of 'scaffolding a la Stuaff' on the back! All I can say to you is; don't carry cake back there, and mind the catseyes when you start the speed wobble on Reigate Hill. :smile:

We all successfully avoided catseyes and all forms of speed wobbling, thank you very much :smile:

Top Bottom