Not a Christmas Night Ride to Bognor

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Seeing as the weather's now turned colder, now is the time to start planning for that hardy perennial, the Christmas Night Ride to Bognor, which I've scheduled for Friday 3rd December. Maybe this year, we'll actually get to run it!

So, usual thing, start from Hyde Park Corner, London Town at midnight, a nice run through the streets looking at all the Christmas tat bargains in the shop windows, bypass the drunks, then head out of London, probably via Dorking, for the halfway stop at Pease Pottage services, just south west of Crawley, which will come as a real shock to the 2 guys working in the Costa Coffee there, as they normally only have about about 1 or 2 cars showing up at 3.30 am.

And then it'll be off again into the darkness, where it's likely to be cold, very cold. There'll be a grind up the South Downs, and then a lovely descent past Arundel and then it'll be just about flat for the last few miles. No flint paths or walks through fields/stiles are included on this ride. Then as dawn eventually breaks, and the sun pops a weary beam in your direction, you'll be in time for breakfast at the Lobster Pot Cafe at Felpham, just next to Bognor.

Total mileage will be around 73 miles or so. Pace-wise, we won't go too fast (where have you heard that before), intending to arrive at 8 am. If there's torrential rain/ice/snow/tornadoes, then we won't go.

Warm clothes almost certainly essential. Christmas outfits are optional but welcome.

There are 4 trains an hour back from Bognor to London Victoria - 2 direct and 2 requiring changes at Barham and Horsham (which are quicker than the direct trains). Alternatively, you can go via Brighton.

Anyone else interested?

maybe, I have family in that area so I might combine it with a visit if the weather isn't too horrible!

U

User10571

Hmmmmmm......

A forecast of no rain.
Temperatures nowhere near freezing.
And not much in the way of a headwind......

..... and I might be interested :smile:

Paul.G.

Just a bloke on a bike!
Not saying I'm ready for this particular night ride but at some point in time I would really like to take part in one of the rides posted on this site

However, there is a problem, for some strange reason I just cannot get my head around doing this sort of run through the night !

The mileage is not an issue and even having to get from Reading to the start point and back again the next morning is not that much of an issue, I'm sure some folks travel far greater distances, it's just the kit and preparation, what should I take, will I have enough clothes, do I need to enter an SAS style survival training course, do car drivers become more crazy after midnight?

Probably all stupid questions that have been asked many times before (ok the SAS bit might be a new one) but Iwould really appreciate any tips on kit and preparation and what to expect on the ride.

Thanks

Paul.G.

OP
OP
Flying Dodo

Flying Dodo

It'll soon be summer
For the next 4 months, you'll likely need some warm clothes. Layers are good, rather than 1 thick jacket, so some people will also have a back pack or panniers that they can carry excess clothing in. Ideally you should wear enough so that when you first set off, you feel slightly on the cool side of warm & toasty, on the basis that once you get going, you'll soon warm up.

Obviously it makes sense to carefully study the weather forecasts to get an idea of what the temperature will be later on. Outside of London, it can easily be 3-4° cooler than in London, so you have to take that into account, plus you've got to think about waterproofs if there's going to be any rain.

Traffic-wise, in the centre of London at midnight there's about the same amount of traffic as there is at 9 pm, so quite busy. Once you're out in the sticks, cars get rarer, until on some routes it can be 30 minutes or more without seeing a moving car. You do sometimes get some idiot drivers in towns, but that's no different from normal.

What really makes it worthwhile though is partly the fact you getting out and doing something which most people you pass by just couldn't contemplate doing, plus once you're out in the countryside, often it's truly magical just hearing the whirr of wheels and watching the bobbing lights.

It's sensible to have a spare tube, a few tools, money and a working mobile phone with you, just in case.

Have a flick through the official FNRttC blog here and click on some of the links on the lower right hand side, such as the Guardian write-up or the videos, to get a flavour of what's involved.

Just pick a night, ensure you've got some bright lights and go out for a spin for an hour or two, ideally away from built up areas, to experience it for yourself. And if you want to try Bognor, great, if not, then bookmark the dates shown in the link for 2011.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Unfortunately can't make this.
sad.gif

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
The grind up the South Downs. B2139, cos you can't be thinking A29 surely? In a group? That might be an 'interesting' climb as it is entertaining enough, at times, solo.

But pencil me in anyway.

Paul.G.

Just a bloke on a bike!
Hey thanks for the quick reply, you have certainly given me some good pointers and the FNRttC blog looks very interesting

Cheers

Paul.G.

U

User10571

Flying Dodo is correct in everything he is saying above.

All that is missing is him wearing a knee bandage
tongue.gif

Wobblers

Euthermic
Very tempted. Very, very tempted. Pencil me down as a 'maybe' - there's a possibility that friends may be coming over that weekend. Well, that's me got my excuse ready, anyway....

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Bury Hill, Greg? A gentle climb! :smile:

Teef, it ain't the steepness or length of the climb that bothers me per se, this is my 'back yard'. The B road, tackled slowly, has been one of my regular summer "just popping out for a ride darling" climbs since I rediscovered cycling, and the SDW climb from Houghton is one of my faves on an mtb.

Rather the quantity of traffic on both those roads, and the manner of its passing, would concern me, more than a little, riding in a group. Simon won't go there on an FNRttC, and I used to pull his leg over such timidity. But since then I've had cause to revise my opinion and bow to his, award winning, wisdom.

martint235

Dog on a bike
Put me down as a maybe. I have promised SWMBO that Brighton will be my last overnight run for 2010 and I also need to be in Havant on the 3rd so could be a long work day......

But then the possibility of a trip to Bognor could outweigh these things...

Top Bottom