Not a Christmas Night Ride to Bognor

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Flying Dodo

Flying Dodo

It'll soon be summer
Teef, it ain't the steepness or length of the climb that bothers me per se, this is my 'back yard'. The B road, tackled slowly, has been one of my regular summer "just popping out for a ride darling" climbs since I rediscovered cycling, and the SDW climb from Houghton is one of my faves on an mtb.

Rather the quantity of traffic on both those roads, and the manner of its passing, would concern me, more than a little, riding in a group. Simon won't go there on an FNRttC, and I used to pull his leg over such timidity. But since then I've had cause to revise my opinion and bow to his, award winning, wisdom.

A29 - not on your life!

Yes, it'll be the B2139. I've done it a few times on a summer's afternoon and thought it's a bit iffy, but having also tried it after a few night rides, and it's been fine. I'd agree you wouldn't want 80 people going over it, but in a small group at 7 am there's unlikely to be much traffic. And then the run down to Arundel is a sheer delight which I feel must be shared with others.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
A29 - not on your life!

Yes, it'll be the B2139. I've done it a few times on a summer's afternoon and thought it's a bit iffy, but having also tried it after a few night rides, and it's been fine. I'd agree you wouldn't want 80 people going over it, but in a small group at 7 am there's unlikely to be much traffic. And then the run down to Arundel is a sheer delight which I feel must be shared with others.

you are not wrong.

though once on the middle third I found myself pedalling down hill in the face of a gale.

I may abandon at Arundel; the lovely rellie's I have in Bognor are at their other house, in East Sussex, that weekend. But then again, I may not.

rb58

Enigma
Hmmm. I'm due to be in Winchester that weekend. But Winchester's not far from Bognor :biggrin: I sense a plan forming. Pencil me in, and I'll confirm nearer the time.
Cheers
Ross

frank9755

Cyclist
Adam,

Somehow I'd missed this so am glad it was brought up during breakfast this morning.

I've not ridden to Bognor before, and would like to, so I'm a possible. I'm doing another (long) ride already on the Sunday and there is a risk of visitors on the Saturday. But perhaps I can squeeze it in anyway.

I'll confirm either way when I know for sure.

Frank

PS good to meet you properly today!

Tynan

Veteran
bad weather, a bit long and a big hill?

I'm a cossetted rider, will there be FNRttC levels of care and I see no mention of the trains back to London?

estimated numbers?

as ever, put Tynan down as a maybe possiblt perhaps

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
Seeing as the weather's now turned colder, now is the time to start planning for that hardy perennial, the Christmas Night Ride to Bognor, which I've scheduled for Friday 3rd December.

There are 4 trains an hour back from Bognor to London Victoria - 2 direct and 2 requiring changes at Barham and Horsham (which are quicker than the direct trains). Alternatively, you can go via Brighton.

Anyone else interested?

There you go T!!

Top Bottom