Not Fit For Purpose?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Is that a light fitted to the front fork? How?

Indeed, or rather tis a pair of lights, one each side.

The fork has a boss for a lo-rider rack. I own no such rack. Nor ever shall I. So on went a pair of these (passport front fork lamp bracket) and the lights which used to clutter my bars went on them. The bracket is a basically a tube and two plates held together by a stud. I found two turns of insulating tape fixes the tube to the end plates securely so nothing pivots. The diameter turned out to be a bit narrow for the mounts on my lamps so a turn of inner tube sorted that.

Norm

GregCollins said:
here's mine with it's hideously suspension corrected geometry frame and forks about to blast down a very long very steep hill.
Nice bike! :thumbsup: You need to co-ordinate your drink, though. That green / brown combo works superbly but not with the pink.

Is that a light fitted to the front fork? How?
I hadn't notice the light. The front end was a bit over-whelmed by the wheelie bin on the bars! :laugh: :laugh:

Doesn't the bar-bag make it handle funny? Wouldn't it be more stable on the rack? Or are you carrying a camera or something to which you want quick access?

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Norm said:
Nice bike! :thumbsup: You need to co-ordinate your drink, though. That green / brown combo works superbly but not with the pink.

Thank you. Usually my rocket fuel is diluted pineapple juice with some added salt. the Kwiksave in Llani only had cranberry...

Norm said:
I hadn't notice the light. The front end was a bit over-whelmed by the wheelie bin on the bars! :laugh: :laugh:

Doesn't the bar-bag make it handle funny? Wouldn't it be more stable on the rack? Or are you carrying a camera or something to which you want quick access?

handle differently, yes, funny? no. the bag was cheap and not so nasty and contains stuff, wallet, camera, phone, bits'n'bobs I want at hand and a light waterproof which I can put on without getting off the bike.

on that particular credit card weekend tour (Llanidloes - Bristol, Bristol - Reading) I used the bar bag and a camelbak only. Halfway through day two I regretted not bringing a rack bag. Then smidsy tried to kill me and the want of a bag paled into insignificance.

Norm

Thanks for the information, Greg. :laugh:

GregCollins said:
handle differently, yes, funny? no. the bag was cheap and not so nasty and contains stuff, wallet, camera, phone, bits'n'bobs I want at hand and a light waterproof which I can put on without getting off the bike.
I have a small tail pack (holds a phone and puncture kit) and I keep the heavier tools nice and low in one of my bottle cages, but anything like a camera etc means I need to wear a rucksack.

I'm off to my LBS tomorrow, a bar bag is one of the things on my "hmmmm" list.

OP
OP
Barbelier

Barbelier

indeed on both counts?

what size is your frame btw....?

here's mine with it's hideously suspension corrected geometry frame and forks about to blast down a very long very steep hill.:smile:
THe frame is a short arse 46cm. Didn't have chance to measure the forks last night - the missus had a few "essential" jobs waiting for me :biggrin: and then I had to subdue the kids :biggrin::wacko: and get them to bed.

Will try to measure the forks tonight.

Talking of lights bought one of these for £1-99 incl P&P, fixed it to the helmet with a cable strap and works a treat:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/BNIB-9-led-sup...item1e5a3e392f

Tynan

Veteran
I use to use a bar bag, it's very practical but eventually I stopped when the bracket wore out

I missed watching the front tyre going round and it was a bit old lady to my ever so slightly poncey taste

OP
OP
Barbelier

Barbelier

Here a picture of mine + a couple of the front forks. Have replaced the standard mudguards with black to match the Brooks saddle.

As to taking the measurements of the fork, tried to do this at the weekend but to be honest not sure which measurements are needed - any guidance appreciated.

Managed to get out on her at the weekend for a couple of hours and although weather was cold it was great to be out.;)

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Barbelier said:
Here a picture of mine + a couple of the front forks. Have replaced the standard mudguards with black to match the Brooks saddle.

As to taking the measurements of the fork, tried to do this at the weekend but to be honest not sure which measurements are needed - any guidance appreciated.

Managed to get out on her at the weekend for a couple of hours and although weather was cold it was great to be out.:biggrin:

all black eh? very mean and moody, but not as mean and moody as the new 2010 Explorer which has a black steel frame. (but imo inferior finishing kit)

the fork look's identical to mine btw, they've not lost the plot at EBC and fitted a wrong 'un, or if they did they've been consistent and we've both got a wrong 'un each.

as far as I can see those are Avid BB7 road calipers which are fine with Sora STI's (though I think from that angle they'd look the same as BB7's as the difference is on the other side)

So as we say in these parts... All good.

bauldbairn

GregCollins said:
......but not as mean and moody as the new 2010 Explorer which has a black steel frame. (but imo inferior finishing kit)

Still a nice looking bike though :biggrin: - got an e-mail from EBC last week anouncing it's arrival and the return of the Continental Sport 2010(very nice).

Why a steel frame do you think + do you think the Tektro disc brakes are purely to keep the price down or better than the BB5's? :biggrin:

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
bauldbairn said:
Why a steel frame do you think + do you think the Tektro disc brakes are purely to keep the price down or better than the BB5's? :becool:

Steel frame; because they can and steel is what UK tourers want. They will have read every review and forum comment saying "oh no you can't ride one of those it is made of cooking foil and will disintegrate without warning"

It wouldn't surprise me if it is made in Taiwan to someone else's 08 or 09 design. After all our Explorers look near identical to the old Dawes alloy Horizon frame with disc mounts added. Clever and enterprising chaps those Taiwanese peeps you know.

new fork is hi-tensile vs cro-mo new has cheaper hubs and rims with only 32 spokes, narrower tyres but maybe the frame is more forgiving, and imo worse brakes + suicide levers. still a stunning spec for the money and they look to me to be aiming at flat bat riders migrating to drops with load carrying capacity.

imo they've still got the rack all wrong because the rear calliper is atop the seatstay rather than atop chainstay and under seatstay but mine hasn't budged so the theory perhaps isn't all it is cracked up to be. The new rack avoids the 'guard stays being under the rack stays which is a good thing.

bauldbairn

GregCollins said:
It wouldn't surprise me if it is made in Taiwan to someone else's 08 or 09 design. After all our Explorers look near identical to the old Dawes alloy Horizon frame with disc mounts added. Clever and enterprising chaps those Taiwanese peeps you know....new fork is hi-tensile vs cro-mo new has cheaper hubs and rims with only 32 spokes, narrower tyres but maybe the frame is more forgiving, and imo worse brakes + suicide levers. still a stunning spec for the money...

Cheers Greg! :biggrin:

I've got an EBC Courier which I believe is an old Claud Butler frame. I fear there will come a point where compromises to certain components on EBC bikes will render them just cheap bikes. I think their ranges once had Shimano hubs - now there no name, unknown quality items. It must be hard for EBC to source quality components and put together value for money bikes. They'll shift relatively low numbers compared to Specialized, Giant or Trek - who can bulk purchase parts cheaper. I appreciate what EBC are trying to do - but if they want to keep a bike price at £650 and still make a profit something has to give.

As an Engineer I admire what the Taiwanese, South Korean and Chinese are doing in their manufacturing sectors. Twenty years ago we would have laughed at the thought thet they would eventually produce "quality" goods. Good luck to them. :biggrin:

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
I like EBC's business model (shame they don't sell Boardman's) but their nearest store is such a long way away from me that Brixton Bikes will easier for me to get to when I take the plunge and get an 11 speed Alfine hubbed disc braked drop bar cotic road rat built up next year.

I've bought bits'n'bobs from EBC though. very happy customer and their warranty approach is good, get your LBS to fix it, pay them send us a copy of the bill we will repay you or we will send you the part and you can fix it yourself.

As for the far-eastern engineers, more powerful to their overworked elbows, they make great products at great prices and if they can negotiate contracts that allow them to retain rights to adapt and resell product once the initial production run is complete then good luck to 'em. not everyone wants a mercian!

bauldbairn

I agree, regards EBC business model. :rolleyes: I can't complain about any of the purchases I've had from their Edinburgh shop(only 20 miles from me).

I've got a dreaded visit to Halfords this week to try a Boardman Hybrid Pro for frame size - only wish it was a visit to EBC. I wonder if EBC were approached by Chris Boardman when he was looking for a financial backer?

Top Bottom