Not Fit For Purpose?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Barbelier

About a month ago bought a Revolution Country Exporer for a planned LEJOG trip in May. Loved the bike and everything seemed fine, apart from the fact I have come off it twice!:biggrin::ohmy:

Took it in for a service recently and the very experienced gentleman who serviced the bike told me there were a couple of issues:

1. The bike has suspension geometry adjusted front forks fitted to a non suspension adjusted frame (or was that the other way round?:smile:) The result is that the front forks are sitting too high and in his words the bike is "twitchy" at speeds up to 10 mph and unstable at high speeds). Now one of the times I came off it was definately icy, but the second time I could so no reason for the bike going out from under me on a slow turn (unless it's cos coming from a MTB background I'm just not used to these skinny tyre things :biggrin:)

2. The Avid BB5 brakes fitted as standard (which were changed to BB7s early on) are not suitable for the bike having 35mm cable instead of 45mm (I could have got that bit totally wrong) with the result that I can't get full braking power and the pads will not wear evenly.

As you may I have gathered I am definately not a bike techie and would really appreciate comments from those on here who are much more knowledgeable than me. Specifically:

- are these problems major flaws or just minor issues that are not of real significance.
- If major problems, do I have any come back on EBC, given that I have already done circa 300 miles on the bike. I notice that the bike is no longer being sold by EBC

All advice gratefully received.

Tynan

Veteran
If EBC is Edinburgh Bike Cooperative, they have a good rep, that all sounds very odd

If the old bloke in the shop is correct I'd say there serious problems necessitating a new bike, it does sound very odd though

take it up with EBC, but do be clear on what the problem is

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
I've got one. I'm from an MTB background. I've ridden several 1000km's on mine; some in the company of Tynan! ^^ and the only time I've fallen off was due to some old git in a merc trying to kill me.

I've ridden it down Reigate Hill and Ditchling Road in Brighton on FNRttC's, at stupid, no one is overtaking me, I'm overtaking everyone else, speeds. I've also hurtled, ok I exaggerate, down large chunks of the South Downs Way on it. EDIT: and up and over Gospel Pass. Twitchy my r's!

Stability is not a problem. The frame looks pretty much identical to some of their MTB/CX frames and I reckon you could put a short travel sus fork on it without a problem so it appears to me that it is a suspension corrected frame with a long rigid fork. In fact it is identical so far as I can see to the old Ali Dawes Horizon frame. Maybe he is right, maybe it doesn't handle like a trad. tourer, or a tank either.

Brakes. I took the BB5's off and put BB7's on (& fitted avid full metal jacket cables at the same time) The pads wear evenly and it out brakes every road bike I've tried even when fully loaded with me and panniers etc.

The very experienced man in my LBS confided to me that he didn't like working on disc brakes and cable operated disk brakes in particular. Perhaps the two are related?

YMMV

EDIT: Here is a link to me blathering on about her

P.H

Über Member
Barbelier said:
2. The Avid BB5 brakes fitted as standard (which were changed to BB7s early on) are not suitable for the bike having 35mm cable instead of 45mm (I could have got that bit totally wrong) with the result that I can't get full braking power and the pads will not wear evenly.

Who replaced the brakes? They come in two versions BB7 and BB7 Road, you need to match them to the levers as they are designed for different cable pull. Not suitable for the bike sounds like not suitable for the levers, though without seeing them it's just a guess.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
P.H said:
Who replaced the brakes? They come in two versions BB7 and BB7 Road, you need to match them to the levers as they are designed for different cable pull. Not suitable for the bike sounds like not suitable for the levers, though without seeing them it's just a guess.

VERY good point. BB7's are mtb brakes and come in black with red knobs and are designed for straight bar v/canti levels

BB7 Roads are silvery gray with red knobs and are specifically designed for drop levers.

As far as I can tell the only difference between the two is the cable cam which makes sense.

Tynan

Veteran
erm, hello greg, news to me, one of the FNRTTCs?

none of that precludes that he might have one with odd forks though does it, again though, if it came from EBC you'd think it was OK

OP
OP
Barbelier

Barbelier

Thanks guys for all the helpful advice.

On the BB7s these were the road version and changed by the same gent at my LBS. He had no problem working with disc brakes and confirmed that the BB7s are a better brake. He didn't fit any in line adjusters though? The levers are the standard ones fitted by EBC. The brakes are now noticeably better than the BB5s.

With regard to the fork issue, I will talk to the guy get a more precise (hopefully written) report of his concerns and then approach EBC. I'll let youknow the outcome!

amaferanga

Veteran
GregCollins said:
VERY good point. BB7's are mtb brakes and come in black with red knobs and are designed for straight bar v/canti levels

BB7 Roads are silvery gray with red knobs and are specifically designed for drop levers.

As far as I can tell the only difference between the two is the cable cam which makes sense.

I don't what you've said about the colour of the mtb/road version is right. It may be right for the ones being sold at the moment, but I have a BB7 mtb version from 2005 that is silver/grey with red knobs. Its definitely NOT the road version.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
amaferanga said:
I don't what you've said about the colour of the mtb/road version is right. It may be right for the ones being sold at the moment, but I have a BB7 mtb version from 2005 that is silver/grey with red knobs. Its definitely NOT the road version.

I can't speak for the past. Personally I think grey anything is a crime against fashion esp on an MTB. :biggrin:

Here is the current Avid BB brake line up...

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Tynan said:
erm, hello greg, news to me, one of the FNRTTCs?

yeah whitstable(s) as it happens, and a few brightons

none of that precludes that he might have one with odd forks though does it, again though, if it came from EBC you'd think it was OK
That's true, it could have been assembled by the YTS boy whilst everyone else was asleep.... :biggrin:

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Barbelier said:
Thanks guys for all the helpful advice.

On the BB7s these were the road version and changed by the same gent at my LBS. He had no problem working with disc brakes and confirmed that the BB7s are a better brake. He didn't fit any in line adjusters though? The levers are the standard ones fitted by EBC. The brakes are now noticeably better than the BB5s.

He didn't RTFM then did he!?! LBS gets it wrong. That almost never happens :biggrin: Why is he being all wise after the event if he fitted that darned things?

EBC also need thumping for not putting adjusters on the bike in the first place imo as a good percentage of why the BB5's are crap is down to missing this part out ime.

If you use Avid's own cables (flak jackets or full metal jackets) they come with the inline adjusters and a little paper erratta slip saying "using BB brakes and drop bar levers? forget these adjusters at your peril." That said the install instructions for BB7's alone refer to the cable adjusters twice. Which should be a clue.....

With regard to the fork issue, I will talk to the guy get a more precise (hopefully written) report of his concerns and then approach EBC. I'll let youknow the outcome!
Measure the key dimensions of your fork I'll do the same and we can compare notes.

OP
OP
Barbelier

Barbelier

If you've got issues with a bike that you've only had for a month, why are you talking to another LBS about them rather than speaking directly to EBC?
Didn't know I had any issues until I took it in for the service and the disc brake upgrade. Until this came up I was happy with the bike and enjoying riding it. In fact I'm still happy with it - just want to clarify if there is a problem here or not.:biggrin:

By the way I asked EBC for a quote for the brake upgrade before I ordered the bike. Never received a reply and gave up after chasing once by phone and once by email.:ohmy:

If you use Avid's own cables (flak jackets or full metal jackets) they come with the inline adjusters and a little paper erratta slip saying "using BB brakes and drop bar levers? forget these adjusters at your peril." That said the install instructions for BB7's alone refer to the cable adjusters twice. Which should be a clue.....
Presumeably these can still be fitted after the event?

Measure the key dimensions of your fork I'll do the same and we can compare notes.
I'll do this tonight. Now the front forks are those long things that the wheel is attached to -right?

gavintc

Guru
I do not tour, but I cannot see any point in having suspension forks on a road bike. I might be missing something here - just seems very strange to me. Why not take the forks out and replace them with touring forks.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Barbelier said:
Presumeably these can still be fitted after the event?

I'll do this tonight. Now the front forks are those long things that the wheel is attached to -right?

indeed on both counts?

what size is your frame btw....?

here's mine with it's hideously suspension corrected geometry frame and forks about to blast down a very long very steep hill.

Top Bottom