Not fitting in with the modern world

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

newfhouse

Resolutely on topic
Official - the day you were born is closer to the outbreak of WW1 than to today. :whistle:

You'll gather I share your sentiments!
And we're now further away from the summer of punk than it was from the outbreak of WW2...

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Official - the day you were born is closer to the outbreak of WW1 than to today. :whistle:

You'll gather I share your sentiments!
Yikes - mine is closer to the Second Boer War than to today! :eek:

I actually half agree with OP Flick of the Elbow. I do like modern technology and with a background in electronics and computing I am generally comfortable with it but the rate of change is something that I find unsettling.

I once needed to use XML at work and asked a younger colleague for advice. He seemed surprised that I didn't know anything about the subject and offered me a 500 page XML manual. I groaned and asked if he had a condensed guide. He smiled and told me that WAS the condensed version. He reached under his desk and picked up a 1,500 page XML reference manual! :laugh:

I think smartphones are wonderful tools but awful taskmasters. The problem with a lot of people is that they let the phones be boss. I am the boss in the relationship with my phone. It is in the next room and I heard 2 messages come in about an hour ago but I have only just checked to see what the messages were. They were from @Littgull about an upcoming audax/forum ride and I have not bothered to reply yet. He might turn up on this thread before then, in which case I will save my 6p!

midlife

Guru
Yikes - mine is closer to the Second Boer War than to today! :eek:

I actually half agree with OP Flick of the Elbow. I do like modern technology and with a background in electronics and computing I am generally comfortable with it but the rate of change is something that I find unsettling.

I once needed to use XML at work and asked a younger colleague for advice. He seemed surprised that I didn't know anything about the subject and offered me a 500 page XML manual. I groaned and asked if he had a condensed guide. He smiled and told me that WAS the condensed version. He reached under his desk and picked up a 1,500 page XML reference manual! :laugh:

I think smartphones are wonderful tools but awful taskmasters. The problem with a lot of people is that they let the phones be boss. I am the boss in the relationship with my phone. It is in the next room and I heard 2 messages come in about an hour ago but I have only just checked to see what the messages were. They were from @Littgull about an upcoming audax/forum ride and I have not bothered to reply yet. He might turn up on this thread before then, in which case I will save my 6p!

6p. You are on PAYG like me then :smile:

Shaun

stephec

Legendary Member
I make fb work for me.
I wouldn't have found the local Skyrides without it or the new Salford Cycle Club.
The local free newspaper is no longer delivered around here, I think it's because they can't find people willing to deliver it for peanuts.But I do find out about all sorts of local information and events from fb.
My neighbour, and a couple of girls from my running club, ride with them.

They say it's a nice friendly ride, but I never seem to find the time.

Oldbloke

Guru
I'm almost 50 :eek: (just a number) ;).
It's taken me this long to realise I don't fit in and that I really don't care :tongue:.
Happier than ever and I decide what takes up my time and effort and what doesn't.
However, cat biscuits in the washing machine is not a good move :thumbsdown:.

It gets worse, yesterday i peeled and sliced some fruit for breakfast, threw it in the bin and put the peelings in my bowl.:ohmy:

Brandane

Legendary Member
It gets worse, yesterday i peeled and sliced some fruit for breakfast, threw it in the bin and put the peelings in my bowl.:ohmy:
A few months ago I made porridge in the microwave, got distracted as you do, went to work..... Came home 5 days later and there was a slightly unpleasant smell coming from the microwave!

Cellphones
Mobile phones...... I am currently in the US of A and my phone has been switched off for nearly two weeks now. It said I had no signal when I arrived, and I CBA'd trying to get one. Some might find it sad that my only connection with home has been email or CC, but I have found it quite liberating. Sometimes it is quite nice to be out of touch; I often wish mobile phones had never been invented.

Brains

Legendary Member
Bluetooth really has been around a long time, late 1990's at least, which means you were in your early 30's when it first appeared commercially.
(First time I saw was in the Psion Organisers, remember them ?) . Therefore it really is not 'new fangled' at least no more than say Princess Diana died around the same time or a little company called Google was started.

byegad

Legendary Member
Im 64 and 2/3rds and use modern technology all of the time. I abhor some of the uses it's put to. Fatuous selfies attached to messages are my current hate. While I don't do twatter I do use Facebook, Google+ and Flickr to share thoughts and proper photographs with friends and family.

I'm amazed at some of these 50yr old kids who can't keep up with the modern world and have already given up on new technology, how will they manage in 20yrs time.

Twitter is great for keeping up with stuff and following interests. It helped me out no end to get to the channel tunnel last summer in the face of huge tailbacks. I haven't actually tweeted anything yet, I'm just not that interesting. A Facebook acct. I don't have, it just does not appeal. I might try Instagram for the same reasons as Twitter, plus I prefer to communicate through pics or would if I could be bothered to communicate.

Top Bottom