not happy with my gears

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

defy-one

so i've had the Giant Defy 1 for about 6 weeks now. getting faster and slimmer as the weeks go by. loving the bike but it's being spoiled by one thing. the front derailleur is shimano 105, but i can't get it set up right. if i get it quiet on the big ring ( and all the gears on the rear) then i find i can't use most of the rear cogs when the chain is on the smaller front cog. if i get the small ring set up right, i have the same issue when i get onto the larger ring????

i've watched endless videos on youtube and tried some adjusting, had them replace the gear cable to front derailleur as the guy in the shop frayed it, and went back last week, for another assistant to set it up again. all fine on the bike stand, but not so with my lard ass in the saddle it seems

i bought/leased it via the cyclescheme C2W scheme.

do i ...
a) go back to the shop and let them try again
b) ask for another bike (same model)
c) demand a refund and go elsewhere
d) complain to cyclesheme if the shop doesn't sort this out

now some of those options will come later - just asking where i stand and what i can/cannot do to resolve this.

off for a quick 10 miles now before dinner as that yellow disc in the sky has returned :-)

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
105 shouldn't be too tricky to set up...

OP
OP
defy-one

defy-one

being new to road bikes, i have left it to so called professionals. guess i'll ask them to do it again, and then put the bike on a turbo trainer so they can see/test/adjust whilst i'm at the shop

potsy

Rambler
Sounds like you are trying to use the whole of the rear block in all front gears, this would be a bad idea as your chainline would be very severe.
I use 2-9 when on the middle ring, 1-6 on the small ring and 4-10 on the big ring, this avoids the rubbing and keeps your chain as straight as possible.

Also do you use the 'trim' facility on your front shifter? This moves the derailleur a small amount to stop the rub as you go further up the block.

ohnovino

Large Member
Is there any play in the bottom bracket? My chain was periodically rubbing on the front derailleur under load, but seemed fine when I was off the bike and trying to fix it. Turned out the bb was very slightly loose; when my weight was pushing on the drive-side pedal there was enough movement to cause some chain rub on the front derailleur cage.

OP
OP
defy-one

defy-one

Is there any play in the bottom bracket? My chain was periodically rubbing on the front derailleur under load, but seemed fine when I was off the bike and trying to fix it. Turned out the bb was very slightly loose; when my weight was pushing on the drive-side pedal there was enough movement to cause some chain rub on the front derailleur cage.

I'll check that as it sounds very similar to what i'm experiencing.

Potsy - not sure what you mean by trimming. The derailleur has the 2 screws to limit the extremes of travel and up by the shifters i have an adjuster on the cable.

OP
OP
defy-one

defy-one

P.S i try to use gears 2-9 on the rear,no matter which front ring i'm on. But chain rubs on the front derailleur as mentioned above.

ushills

Veteran
With my front derailleur I need to trim as I move up and down the block, my front level has about 4 clicks from bottom to top and I use them appropriately depending on chainline.

From Sheldon

TrimTo make a fine adjustment to the position of the front derailer cage. This is sometimes necessary as the rear derailer is shifted because changes in chain angle can cause the chain to rub on the front derailer cage.
Some indexed front shift controls provide a "trim" function, usually an extra click or two, to let the rider compensate for this.
In the early 1980s, Sun Tour used to make a special shift lever , the "Symmetric", that automatically adjusted the position of the front lever as the rear was shifted, to automate the trimming process. This system turned out to be very troublesome, and was abandoned after a single season.
Modern front derailers are designed around specific chainwheel combinations so that trimming is un-necessary in most cases if the front derailer is properly adjusted. (See my article on Derailer Adjustment.)

migrantwing

Veteran
I had exactly the same problem when setting up my 105 compact when I first had my bike. The trim function is very useful indeed.

OP
OP
defy-one

defy-one

Did a quick 13 miles on my old hybrid/commuter before chaining her up at paddington for the olympic period. Gear changes were horrible.

Lidl bike stand out-bike up and on.
I'm pleased to say i sorted her out after adjusting and re-adjusting.

Wish i could sort the defy out as easily :blush:

Top Bottom