Not really a offical Cycle club more of a SE London socialcycle club

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tiswas-steve

Über Member
It all came about through Cyclebuddy.com, I went on the site looking for local ride buddies and ended up meeting a great bunch of guys. We call ourselves The Copacanbana Cycle Club (long story) and basically we,re a bunch of guys who love cycling but for various reasons don't want to belong to a regular cycling club. We get anything from 4-9 riders nearly every Sunday morning, starting at 7.30-8.00 in Sydenham for a spin through the North Downs, coffee/butty/cake stop a must,usually the Tudor Rose in Westerham. Average speed can be anything from 11-15 mph over a 30-50+ mile ride but we drop no one and always wait for the last rider at the top of big hills or if someone is regretting that bacon sarnie at the cafe. All gender, class, age, various levels of beauty welcome. If interested or need any more info,drop me a IM or post on here.
Cheers !!

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Fab!

That's kinda how are own 'club started - Abingdon Freewheeling, keeping it as simple as possible. We also wanted to make as informal an organisation as posssible (it get's unfortunately to the point where for insurance et all, you need to become more 'official') and to cater for those not normally catered for ny regular clubs. Ours is certainly a social cycling group. Facebook helps keep up to the minute contact too between members and potential 'members'.

http://groupspaces.com/AbingdonFreewheeling/

As time goes on I think more types of informal/casual clubs each with their own 'style' will proliferate. Met a guy who started one in Cornwall recently.

Chapeau!

OP
OP
tiswas-steve

tiswas-steve

Über Member
Cheers foodie !!
From my point of view, I just wanted to talk and ride bikes but couldn't or didn't want to commit to a "proper" club due to family and work. The Facebook thingy is a great idea, we've toyed with a website but not quite perfected it, I'm gonna put that to the group ;) Totally agree with you regarding more social cycling clubs popping up, it's a great thing not to stick to a set routine where and when we ride.
Good luck with your merry band !!

Globalti

Legendary Member
We have about eight cyclists in our street of 72 houses including three called Chris. I would like to start a street cycling club but I worry that that might attract unwelcome attention from thieves. Could always call the club something completely unrelated to the street, I suppose.

OP
OP
tiswas-steve

tiswas-steve

Über Member
We have about eight cyclists in our street of 72 houses including three called Chris. I would like to start a street cycling club but I worry that that might attract unwelcome attention from thieves. Could always call the club something completely unrelated to the street, I suppose.

You could also meet somewhere off your street, maybe a park or outside a local spot that everyone knows ?

screenman

Legendary Member
I think this sort of thing is a good idea, but there is often a huge misconception about cycling clubs, often put about by people with no experience of them.

OP
OP
tiswas-steve

tiswas-steve

Über Member
I think this sort of thing is a good idea, but there is often a huge misconception about cycling clubs, often put about by people with no experience of them.
I agree, people should always at least go on a trial ride with a club before they start commenting whether or not a club is for them, I've been on about 4 local try out rides but like I said, it wasn't for me. Clubs are great for gaining experience of bunch riding and general cycling know how. We are more "brunch" riding than "bunch" riding. ;-)

OP
OP
tiswas-steve

tiswas-steve

Über Member

Yup, worked for me.

London Female

Über Member
It all came about through Cyclebuddy.com, I went on the site looking for local ride buddies and ended up meeting a great bunch of guys. We call ourselves The Copacanbana Cycle Club (long story) and basically we,re a bunch of guys who love cycling but for various reasons don't want to belong to a regular cycling club. We get anything from 4-9 riders nearly every Sunday morning, starting at 7.30-8.00 in Sydenham for a spin through the North Downs, coffee/butty/cake stop a must,usually the Tudor Rose in Westerham. Average speed can be anything from 11-15 mph over a 30-50+ mile ride but we drop no one and always wait for the last rider at the top of big hills or if someone is regretting that bacon sarnie at the cafe. All gender, class, age, various levels of beauty welcome. If interested or need any more info,drop me a IM or post on here.
Cheers !!

I just wanted to say hello because I see your location is Forest Hill and that's where I grew up and lived until I was 25. If I am ever visiting and feeling energetic enough at 7.30 on a Sunday morning I may join you.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Why not call it xxxxxxxx Freewheeling? :whistle:
Meet at the local market square/bike shop or similar.

Top Bottom