Not so easy getting a job where you don't get any pay

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I saw a message in a shop window the other week,saying "Sorry we are closed on Wednesdays as we can't find anyone to run the place". "If you have a few spare hours a week, please come in and see us" So i did. Can i help you?,they asked. Yes,i saw your paper in the window and i'd like to volunteer,i replied. They asked me to come back when the manager was in. I went back,to be told they hadn't printed off the application forms,could i come back in a week when they'd have some.So i did and was given one to fill in. I took it back today to be told not to expect a reply as they'd been "inundated with responses to their message". I felt a bit put out. I thought they couldn't open because no one was offering their free time,only to find out that many had. Why have so many responded to their request for volunteers to help run their shop,if they aren't getting paid? This is the second time this has happened to me. I approached a charity shop the other month and was told that they were holding an interview day and they'd get back to me if i was selected for interview. They didn't get back to me.I don't think i'll be volunteering to give my time and effort for nothing in return,again.

Shaun

Founder
If you're looking to give some of your free time to others, contact your local Voluntary Service Association (often part of the local council) - they should be able to point you to organisations that need people to help out.

snorri

Legendary Member
They didn't get back to me.I don't think i'll be volunteering to give my time and effort for nothing in return,again.
Many charitable organisations are run in a professional manner and set high standards in their field, perhaps you lacked the particular skills they required. Don't take your rejection personally, there will be another organisation who will value your abilities and efforts:smile:.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
If VAS is anything like around here, I think Shaun's right and that may be worth a visit for you. I can't say I got very much out of my visit, but I can see for other people they may prefer the face to face way of doing things and other people seemed to like it.

It could be that they were overwhelmed. I would say the wording and putting up a sign is a very effective way of getting applicants, as it doesn't seem very formal and will invite people who might not otherwise apply. Also I can understand being overwhelmed, one of the places I volunteer is a small charity and there are wildly diverging views from no one will be interested, we're really lucky to get applicants through to the other end of the scale. In the current process the person who ran it thought we'd get no applicants, so as soon as two turned up hired them even though one was like an interview for the apprentice saying some outlandish and bold things and very pushy. In the days after we were flooded with applicants to take it to around 20 and the person hired is the 2nd weakest applicant, we're now going to have to turn away several very strong candidates and look like idiots. The extra ones have been told to wait weeks and weeks to see what happens as there's so much to go through.

vickster

Legendary Member
Age UK for example are always looking for people willing to visit and spend time with their members, go shopping etc

This looks to be local office for you
http://www.ageuk.org.uk/lancashire/local-directory1/age-uk-lancashire-office---hyndburn/

OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
The first one i applied for was this one ;https://www.yell.com/biz/only-foals-and-horses-sanctuary-accrington-4853282/ It was working in their shop which is just down the road from where i live, I went inside one day,asking if i could take my bike in,as i'd just come back from a ride. He joked that he thought i ws giving it as a donation, We got chatting and he seemed ok and said i'd be suitable for working there. Then nothing came of it.
The second rejection was this place. ;https://www.hyndburnheritage.com/ I've always been interested in stuff like they have in their little museum and i emphasised that on my application form. I can appreciate that all those applications have "flooded in" since they put the sign in the window asking for volunteers,but why leave the sign up when they'have so many to choose from. I can appreciate that they wont just take anyone on,as they have to find out if you're trustworthy and not likely to nick stuff from their shops. I thought i'd be doing both a favour but from now on i'm sticking to looking for paid work,which i think will be easier to find.

I do see the comedy value of all of this though. "We have a position, it doesn't involve getting paid" lots of people want the job, "sorry you can't have the job for which you're not getting paid"
IMG_5233.JPG

OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I do see the comedy value of all of this though. "We have a position, it doesn't involve getting paid" lots of people want the job, "sorry you can't have the job for which you're not getting paid"
View attachment 374932
That's how i see it. I feel such an idiot for building my hopes up thinking they'd be saying "Oh thank you,we can now finally open on Wednesdays now we have you volunteering". Instead I felt like some desperate bloke begging for work in the 1930's "depression". The woman in the little museum just snatched my application form off me and chucked it on a pile with the rest of the applications.

OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
About 10 years ago i joined a team of volunteers doing various things around this area. One of them was repairing dry stone walls. It was pretty boring stuff done in wet miserable conditions. I asked another volunteer why we were doing this for free for the farmer. "Not only free but also free for someone well off",the other volunteer replied."He's loaded but gets this done for nowt every year" he added.Sod this i thought and went home. Getting volunteers to do your repairs for nothing in return,when you clearly have enough money to pay someone to do it, is surely taking advantage of peoples good nature,i'd say.

Top Bottom