Not so easy getting a job where you don't get any pay

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Any good at bike repairs or salvage work? If so do you have any local upcycle or repair places that take broken bikes in and repair them and then sell on for cheap or give to those in need? We have a local one called bike soup in Darlington, the website is pretty good.

There are also lesser known about volunteer opportunities with charities such as foodbank, nursing homes which have folk without any family who visit so giving some company to them can brighten their week or becoming a trustee or governor of a local organisation or school. If you fancy a bit of paid work and you have some good experience you could source a Non Executive Director role on a board?

KnackeredBike

I do my own stunts
I used to manage a volunteer co-op. Unfortunately just allowing anyone who wants to pitch in volunteer doesn't work well because if they don't have the skills to do the job (and that includes skills like basic organisation and initiative) then you simply end up spending more time managing them then they actually help you.

That said, I know it must be crushing to be rejected from a volunteer job so if we didn't think someone was suitable for the job they'd applied for we'd try and find something else they were good at. For instance, we had one old boy who just wanted to tidy the yard, flatten the boxes and have a chat and he happily pottered around doing that. Unfortunately big charities may not have that flexibility.

As others have said you don't need to apply to somewhere to volunteer. If I am cycling on tracks I normally head out with a bow saw and hedge trimmers in the bike (sometimes a lawnmower too) to cut back cycle path undergrowth. Very satisfying and, as others have said, if you wanted to volunteer along those lines take plenty of pictures and you can include them with your application.

Sandra6

Veteran
Some charity shops expect you to jump through hoops before they'll allow you to volunteer for them.
My youngest son called in at a few at the start of the summer break to offer his time, nobody got back to him at all. Eldest son had a similar experience a few years ago and daughter no2 was ignored by the first she went to but Shelter were more than happy to take her on.
It's a shame really because it's a very good way for young people to gain work experience, and surely people should be pleased to see young people taking time out to help others.

OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
After my whinging i got a voluntary job with the heritage centre i mentioned. I'm not in the actual "little museum" yet. I'm on their stall in Accrington market. It has similar stuff to the main place though most of the items are small, as big stuff wouldn't fit in the place. The bloke who runs the stall is what he describes as a "Bottleoligist"meaning he digs out old bottles from old tips,cleans them up then displays them. He also does talks about his hobby. Some of his stuff is hundreds of years old. He told me that he finds the old rubbish tips by reading up about where canal barges dumped peoples rubbish in the 1800's. He also has a few victorian carpet sweepers,which were made by Ewbank here in Accrington. All interesting stuff!

OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Well done.
Thanks. I must say i really enjoyed being there. Not only the very interesting stuff on display,but the interaction with those who come to look at the stuff. Some are just passing by but most seem to wander in and ask questions and talk about similar stuff their grandparents had etc. The bloke who runs the stall told me the council don't charge him rent as although he's not officially a charity they say he attracts visitors to the market which helps the other stall holders.

Top Bottom