Not so helpfull Hellfrauds

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DEFENDER01

Über Member
My friend needs a free wheel cassette hub for his Carrera vengeance.
Went to Halfords not in stock so they ordered one wrong one arrived so they re ordered.
Still wrong one so now they say they cant get one.
If they cant get parts for their own branded cycles the word useless springs to mind. :banghead: :thumbsdown:

Lonestar

Veteran
It's a car shop.I avoid like the plague.

Reactions: SAB

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
My friend needs a free wheel cassette hub for his Carrera vengeance.
Went to Halfords not in stock so they ordered one wrong one arrived so they re ordered.
Still wrong one so now they say they cant get one.
If they cant get parts for their own branded cycles the word useless springs to mind. :banghead: :thumbsdown:
How old is the bike.

Regardless of the supplier, some parts do become obsolete. This could be the equivalent of you arguing with currys because they no longer supply Betamax cassettes, even though they sold you the player...bike parts become obsolete a lot quicker than Betamax players though.

OP
OP
DEFENDER01

DEFENDER01

Über Member
Perhaps i worded that wrong should have been freehub cassete.:okay:
freewheel-vs-k7.jpg

OP
OP
DEFENDER01

DEFENDER01

Über Member
How old is the bike.
Regardless of the supplier, some parts do become obsolete. This could be the equivalent of you arguing with currys because they no longer supply Betamax cassettes, even though they sold you the player...bike parts become obsolete a lot quicker than Betamax players though.
Regardless of how old the bike is they still sell them cant see how why they would have changed that particular part.

Tojo

Über Member
They can't get one according to them because they are useless and they have probably just ordered the wrong cassette, I would bet it is most likely a Shimano HG cassette which are still readily available in 7-10 spd.......:whistle:

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
Regardless of how old the bike is they still sell them cant see how why they would have changed that particular part.
So its a bike that is in their current range...this is my question, so it really is relevant.

Unfortunately manufacturers do change tiny items like this. My bike is only a few years old but is a nine speed, very few nine speed blocks available these days.

Just because they sell a bike by the same name, if your mates is an old version it may be a Genuinley obsolete part.

But, as others have suggested, it may also be a common part that can be swapped for something similar. I'm still not totally sure what you are buying, is it a cassette or a free hub. I'm pretty sure that any cassette of the same speed (9, 10, 11 speed) will fit the bike, it may have differnet sized sprockets, which will effect the way each gear feels...but it'll work just fine.

Count the number of sprockets (gears) if it's nine then ask the shop for a nine speed cassette (or block) they will have a few with different sprocket sizes to show you..

What I find odd is that the shop didn't suggest this, which makes me think that the issue is something else.

Good luck.

OP
OP
DEFENDER01

DEFENDER01

Über Member
I'm still not totally sure what you are buying, is it a cassette or a free hub. I'm pretty sure that any cassette of the same speed (9, 10, 11 speed) will fit the bike, it may have differnet sized sprockets, which will effect the way each gear feels...but it'll work just fine.
Count the number of sprockets (gears) if it's nine then ask the shop for a nine speed cassette (or block) they will have a few with different sprocket sizes to show you..
What I find odd is that the shop didn't suggest this, which makes me think that the issue is something else.
Good luck.
Its the freewheel hub assy he needs not the cassette.

Top Bottom