Not sure what's best for daughter getting cycling :(

Discussion in 'Family and Recreational Cycling' started by Black Sheep, 11 Nov 2017.

1. OP
    OP
    Black Sheep

Black Sheep Veteran

As Black Lamb is one of the older ones in her school year we decided to take her out of nursery and put her in the school's summer club (hoping a couple of other new starters would be there and saving £20 a day)

We quickly found that other children (none starting school with her, all older) were taking bikes and scooters with them to use during the day on the playground and she requested she take her 'balance bike'

She's fast and happy to let it role down a hill and has adequate use of the brake. She has asked if I can put the pedals back on and I've agreed with the warning that they're not coming off again and the plan to find a bit of park with a slight slope, stick her at the top of it and get her to ''balance bike" down it with her feet on the pedals and then encourage her to pedal down it and continue doing so when at the bottom figuring that she'll learn to push off and get going once she's got the keeping going part sorted...

2. OP
    OP
    Black Sheep

Black Sheep Veteran

Pedals are on (I even test rode the bike through the house :biggrin: )

Black Ewe noticed that the chain cover wasn't holding together and falling apart "I can fix it, I have the technology" was my reply getting the battery drill and zip ties to replace the broken clips (£16 eBay bike)

We've found a small grass bank that varies in steepness that leads onto a football pitch in the local park so all systems go!

3. OP
    OP
    Black Sheep

Black Sheep Veteran

Well, we've chucked her down the banking a few times and she's done well, getting feet on the pedals and managing a few pedal revolutions but she's not keeping going on the flat, but it's a start, and I keep telling her that's what we're after, making a start and we've done that by getting one foot on, then a bit later, both feet and then starting to pedal.

We did have a try being pushed and peddling, it did go pear shaped into a heap with me being told it was my fault making her wobble and making her foot come off...

So we went back to the hill.

4. Tommy2

Tommy2 Über Member

My daughter never really got on with her balance bike, much preferring the scooter with 2 wheels at the front and I avoided taking her out on her bike with stabilisers as it wasn’t helping her learn to balance and always getting stuck off the ground or tipping it over.
    But the past few weeks we’ve gone out on her bike with out stabilisers maybe only once a week and initially no pedals after watching
    View: https://youtu.be/p6SNCvIN4EI
    this video, she grasped balancing quite quickly and was gradually gliding further and further until we put the pedals back in and again she is getting better and better, I’m taking it really slowly as I don’t want to put her off and she does struggle to get going unless it’s flat or slightly downwards but the powerful first pedal stroke will come in time.
    Like has been said, they will pick it up when they are ready.

My issue now is how to get the length of time in the saddle up without her bum hurting, I guess that will take time and saddle position tweaking.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice