Not sure which to take

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
A

Andy_G

Just a thought are you a spinner or a grinder and is your seat height optimal?
I find if my seat is a bit low and i grind to much my legs just ache .
Streching is just basic stuff like touching toes and heel to arse stretches.
I generally do less reps and more sets(3) on top and more reps and 2 sets on my legs, the guy at the gym isnt all that ive asked but doesnt seem to have a clue.
What do you mean spinner or grinder, if its what i think it is im slightly more a spinner but on hills i generally change up and combine sitting and standing.

Drago

Legendary Member
If you're on this site, you're probably a cyclist. If you're doing big miles you will need extra protein if you want to bulk up your upper body as well. It's a choice between eating more lean protein, of drinking shakes. Your call. You won't need vast amounts, about a gram for every Kg of your weight, even if you're 'lifting 3 or 4 hours a day. Thats from me, ex body builder turned power lifter, who went from 44 to 53" chest in a year.

Before getting too excited you need to do a bit of research, find out what your basic somatotype is. Establishing that can save you a phenomenal amount of effort and work as you can vastly better tailor your workout.

lulubel

Über Member
So im now ready to bulk up a bit on the arms and chest and shoulders whilst still trying to lose wieght

Drago will probably be able to say more on this, with his bodybuilding background, but this part of your first post jumped out at me. It's my understanding that you can't lose fat and gain muscle at the same time. One requires a calorie deficit and the other requires a surplus.

Drago

Legendary Member
It's quite complex, as you also have intra-muscular fat which affects muscle bulk and is not a bad thing at all. You can lose fat and gain lean muscle mass at the same time, but it isn't going to happen without some planning, effort and commitment.

I know you're probably not into being a 260lb meathead like I used to be (hence my nickname, Drago, but I'm now a mere 242ish) but if you want to gain muscle tone and just a more pleasant shape then get hold of a copy of Arnold Schwarzeneggers Encyclopaedia of Modern Body Building. A superb read where he discusses general fitness, aerobic exercise, diet, psychology, the 3 main somatotypes and 80 odd sub-types, and a host of other subjects related to progressive resistance training.

I don't know your somatotype or what you current dimensions are so I couldn't really recommend anything more specific at this point.

PS, I don't have any pics to hand but I've changed my avatar back just for you ;)

OP
OP
A

Andy_G

Ive read so much stuff thats im starting to confuse myself, id like advice from real people who have try it.
@Drago all i am is a cyclist to the point i sold my car just so i can ride, my plan is to do atleast 1 100 mile ride a month next year.
Id swap arms anyday mate, mines like twiglets to yours, ill be ordering that Arnie book from Amazon tonight. cheers

Drago

Legendary Member
Good man. It's available is a Kindle download too. It's a seriously thick book, but well worth investing the time to read. Digest that and you won't waste an ounce of effort or a minute of time on anything that doesn't work.

PS, thanks for the compliment - that photo was taken about 3 months after elbow reconstruction surgery, so IIRC I was down to about 17.5" upper arms. 21" at my peak, I hover around 18" now. Never used steroids and if I'm honest was never that careful with my diet back in the day. 2 hours a day in the gym, 6 days out of 7, but even then I was never going to be a serious amateur competitor, hence making the sideways move into 'lifting after a friend got me into it. No feeling on Earth like benching over a fifth of a ton!

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
Take This multiply with one of These then -500

Register with/download some form of app like myfitnesspal. Use this to gauge just where your calorie intake is. Don't count to the nearest cal,but use it for a few weeks until you can look at food and think, yep that's xxx calories. Nomnom

Ride your bike.

If you really must supplement then do it, but remember it is a supplement to a diet, not a diet itself.

ps: bulkpowders.co.uk or myprotein.co.uk are far cheaper than any of those links.

pps: remember that squats will not make you a better cyclist.

OP
OP
A

Andy_G

Take This multiply with one of These then -500

Register with/download some form of app like myfitnesspal. Use this to gauge just where your calorie intake is. Don't count to the nearest cal,but use it for a few weeks until you can look at food and think, yep that's xxx calories. Nomnom

Ride your bike.

If you really must supplement then do it, but remember it is a supplement to a diet, not a diet itself.

ps: bulkpowders.co.uk or myprotein.co.uk are far cheaper than any of those links.

pps: remember that squats will not make you a better cyclist.
Ive been using my fitness pal for 5-6 months and its helped and it has me at 1800 cals a day and that calculator you linked was 1566 cals.

Im still going to stick to the App to lose weight but i want to bulk up a bit, i just dont want to buy the wrong shake as i want it to aid recovery to.

T.M.H.N.E.T

You've done something wrong tbh

Andrew_P

In between here and there
Seriously, read Arnie's book as training advice? He was souped up on the gear, and serious amounts of it.

It takes time, lots and lots of time if you are doing loads of cardio and restricting your diet as well.

OP
OP
A

Andy_G

Did you make sure to tick the "male" bit?

Even 1800 cals a day is incredibly incredibly low. Not much more than the average womans intake before exercise is a factor!
Excuse me im just a bit dense its 2702.
My average actual net is 1500 after exercise etc

T.M.H.N.E.T

Excuse me im just a bit dense its 2702.
My average actual net is 1500 after exercise etc
2702 before or after deficit? I'm guessing @40yo it's after but I want to be sure.

If your net is 1500 after exercise, you need to eat at least 500 back. That's a massive deficit otherwise.

Top Bottom