Not the done thing

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Piers Morgan in one of his regular rants suggested that England's defeat of Australia in the World Cup was karma for the Australian's run out of the English player in the Cricket test match. Although entirely within the rules of Cricket apparently considered to be “not the done thing”.

Back to Football. I am not familiar with the rules of the game having been raised on Rugby Union is South Africa and then in Australia where Rugby League dominates in Queensland and New South Wales and Australian Rules is played everywhere else but there was something wrong about the way that the England players harassed the Spanish player preparing to take the penalty kick, including actually moving the ball. Presumably within the rules but it left a bad taste in the mouth.

I am pleased that Spain won.

classic33

Leg End Member
Nice to have known you.

Didn't watch any of it, but I feel you'll be in a minority on here.

Jameshow

Veteran
Piers Morgan in one of his regular rants suggested that England's defeat of Australia in the World Cup was karma for the Australian's run out of the English player in the Cricket test match. Although entirely within the rules of Cricket apparently considered to be “not the done thing”.

Back to Football. I am not familiar with the rules of the game having been raised on Rugby Union is South Africa and then in Australia where Rugby League dominates in Queensland and New South Wales and Australian Rules is played everywhere else but there was something wrong about the way that the England players harassed the Spanish player preparing to take the penalty kick, including actually moving the ball. Presumably within the rules but it left a bad taste in the mouth.

How about the diving from the Spanish team?

I they should give Tom Daily a run for his money!

It's just as fickle as the mens game tbh.

HMS_Dave

Grand Old Lady

The first mistake is listening to Piers Morgan. The second, is thinking he knows anything about anything.

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
The specific penalty incident was kicked off by the Spanish player clearly placing the ball forward of the penalty spot, which is against the rules but didn’t seem to vex the ref. The penalty itself was harsh but standard practice given current rules, so there was a certain amount of displeasure on the England side.

But in general you’re describing an act of sh1thousing or sh1thousery. This is a part of the sport and, when done well, is an art form in itself. South American teams are probably the masters.

Just ignore PM. He's awful.

The local view
IMG_20230821_121709.jpg

Drago

Legendary Member
Why give Piernis Organ rhe publicity he delves

gbb

Legendary Member

The specific penalty incident was kicked off by the Spanish player clearly placing the ball forward of the penalty spot, which is against the rules but didn’t seem to vex the ref. The penalty itself was harsh but standard practice given current rules, so there was a certain amount of displeasure on the England side.

But in general you’re describing an act of sh1thousing or sh1thousery. This is a part of the sport and, when done well, is an art form in itself. South American teams are probably the masters.
So assuming Mikes observation that the England player/s harried the penalty kicker...but in reality (according to Bollo's observation), the ball was incorrectly placed by a Spanish player...and rectified by an English player, it seems to me all fair in love and war.

If anyone thinks all sides are going to play fair, the final was a perfect example that to win, you have to sometimes play rough, not entirely in the spirit / or to the letter of the game, to push the boundaries etc etc. Any one or team not prepared to do that...will inevitably lose (assuming both sides were equal)

Edited to add,it's not good, it's not fair,it's not what I personally want to see....but sadly it's the reality of competitive sport.

Last edited:
to win, you have to sometimes play rough, not entirely in the spirit / or to the letter of the game, to push the boundaries etc etc. Any one or team not prepared to do that...will inevitably lose
You should consider passing that bit of advice on to Mr. Borthwick and his rugby team.
Some rough play, some pushing boundaries and behaviour outside the spirit of the game sounds just like what they've been missing. ^_^

Reactions: gbb

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Yes, Piers Morgan is a bit gobby and does say things for a reaction, which I suppose is part of his job, but many Australians are quite gobby and seem to open it before thinking what should/will come out! 🧐

Top Bottom