Not to be left out - Had a close inspection of Tarmac

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DRHysted

Guru
I didn't want to leave it to everyone else, so I thought I'd join the black ice club.

I was supposed to be doing the Wiggle Wight Sportive this morning, but my cars being borrowed because my mums has a sensor fault. So it looked good weather (bit cold at -0.6C, but I did -5C last winter so no worries), only 15 miles to Lymington, so I decided to extend the sportive with a pre-ride ride.

It was a perfect ride until at mile 14 I suddenly, and without warning hit the deck. After getting myself back together (thanking and moving on the three car drivers who stopped to help, one of whom carefully got my bike out of the road for me), I cycled on to the terminal (iPhone had temperature warning and wouldn't work until warmed up!!!). Checked on myself in the loos (raw hamburger hip, sprained shoulder, grazed elbow) but then I checked the helmet which has actually split across one side. So I didn't register for the ride, and woke my mother up to get me.

Thankfully I'm just stiff and sore (be worse in the morning), haven't given the bike a proper check but there's nothing obvious. Torn overshoes (worn twice), torn gloves (not worn before), and broken helmet (about one month old). So quite lucky really.

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
Crivens! That sounds like a bad crash, I hope you feel better tomorrow.

Hey...poeple, let's be careful out there.

craven2354

Welcome to the club I'm currently out for 8-12 weeks not because of black ice just pure stupidity ;) glad your relatively ok :smile: gws

Berties

Fast and careful!
the roads were ok yesterday in the southern hampshire area till the late afternoon when that hail came down,the sun set and the roads never dried out, -5 when i drove through the forest last night well early today,
I ride with a group from my village we looked at 9 then 10 the side roads were too polished,
at least you tried!but the weather was against us all earlier today,i did a 10k ride and took my lad to rugby,by 11 the frost had broken and they looked like bog monsters rolling in mud

Pauln

That sounds nasty, glad you are OK, you will probably ache for a few days (I did) but it will soon go.

Svendo

Guru
If the overshoes are neoprene then a glue like black witch can fix them, and is useful for glueing rubber stuff elsewhere too. I've fixed mine when I had a crash this spring and like you I'd worn them maybe two or three times.

Keith Smith

Regular
Sounds like you were very lucky!

I was out yesterday morning with Sotonia cycling club. Our little group headed out to the new forest around 9:30 yesterday morning. Conditions were very precarious and there was even snow in some places! I very nearly came a cropper on one decent, where I hit black ice and the front wheel locked under braking. Fortunately I wasn't going too fast in the first place so was able to recover the situation, but it was a sphincter moment and could have quite easily turned nasty! Aside from that, it was a great ride. We did around 50 miles in all, which is not bad for this time of year. Don't think I'll be going out again in these kinds of temperatures; not worth the risk!

Ride safely people! :smile:

jazzkat

Fixed wheel fanatic.
You'll ache a bit for sure, but you got off lightly. I hope you heal soon.:thumbsup:

With regard to costs of repairs to your bike/gear. I'm into week five of my break with a few more weeks to go - I need to drive for my work and as I can't properly use my left arm yet that's not happening soon :cursing:
The guy who crashed in front of me on ice (ultimately bringing me off) tore all his gear - windproof, jersey, overshoes, gloves, tights and cracked his helmet. He also had about £300 of repairs on his bike (including riding gear total= approx £700ish) but he walked away with a few grazes. On the other hand I haven't even got so much as a scrape on any of my gear (although my helmet was scrap!) . My bike has a small chip in the paint and the front wheel is ever-so-slightly out of true. Should cost me a few quid at the lbs to true up.
I'd rather be facing a massive bill to sort my gear out than the weeks of pain and boredom of sitting here for weeks.
What cost your health and well being?
^_^

OP
OP
DRHysted

DRHysted

Guru
Work wise - I'm lucky as I started two weeks of jury service yesterday, so I'm sitting around doing nothing.
Me wise - only took one set of painkillers yesterday, trying today with none because it's down to stiffness and bearable pain now (I'm carrying painkillers just in case).
Bike wise - still haven't checked, but can't really be too much wrong as it rode the last mile alright (admittedly very slowly).

Top Bottom