Not trying to start a fight.....but

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mustang1

Legendary Member
I've been into supermarkets with no probs.

I did once go into a shop and was greeted with a sarcastic "Can't you leave that thing outside? We have provided bike racks, you know". The shop in question? Evans Cycles.:rolleyes:

I honestly would not have taken that comment seriously! I figure the guy was just having a laugh then I'd ask how's it going under Mr Sports Direct, further adding to the banter!

Drago

Legendary Member
I did once go into a shop and was greeted with a sarcastic "Can't you leave that thing outside? We have provided bike racks, you know". The shop in question? Evans Cycles.:rolleyes:
if they'd spoken to me like that I'd have taken a forest gump on on their counter and then wiped my behind on novelty Mark Ashkey toilet roll (I always carry some to cover that eventuality.)

Rocky

Hello decadence
I try not to leave my Brompton and always keep it in my sight. I've toured quite widely in the UK and Europe (usually credit card touring). I always take a cover and when I check in to my hostel, B&B or hotel, I have a bag and my Brompton in its cover. I've never had trouble - it's just like any other bit of luggage.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I honestly would not have taken that comment seriously! I figure the guy was just having a laugh then I'd ask how's it going under Mr Sports Direct, further adding to the banter!

I think he was well pissed off. It was hammering down with rain and quite late. They were about to shut and I was mucking the place up with South East London's finest runoff water. Maybe he'd just mopped the floor.

tinywheels

Über Member
Bromptons are like Bristol cars, not for everyone, but the few who understand what it's all about. If you don't understand move on,and forever be condemned to ride some wretched contraption with no soul. A Brompton is so much more than a bicycle.
It's like a beautiful woman, you can't wait to get get your hands on it. You can't take your eye's off it,and some bastards gonna take it off you at the first opportunity.

Rocky

Hello decadence
It's like a beautiful woman, you can't wait to get get your hands on it. You can't take your eye's off it,and some bastards gonna take it off you at the first opportunity.

That's not an issue for me...........................since Mrs R started putting bromide in my tea

FishFright

More wheels than sense
Bromptons are like Bristol cars, not for everyone, but the few who understand what it's all about. If you don't understand move on,and forever be condemned to ride some wretched contraption with no soul. A Brompton is so much more than a bicycle.

You are Swiss Tony AICMFP

tinywheels

Über Member
7726.jpg

Drago

Legendary Member
Bromptons are like Bristol cars, not for everyone, but the few who...
Are small enough?

Who don't like disc brakes?

Who woukd rather not turn corners with big bike aplomb?

Just pulling your leg ;)

Last edited:

rualexander

Legendary Member
True, it’s a one trick pony and very expensive. It’s marmite but very good at its intended purpose. The problem for most on a cycling forum it’s not bike for cyclists, it’s for commuters, which is why there’s only one model and the brakes are poor, no need to change them as they work okay around town and it still sells. The only major mods Brompton do is to make it lighter for which you’ll pay dear.
The one major problem for owners as the writer says is that every bike comes an indelible invitation to every scum bag and drug addict, ‘Steal me’.

Brompton brakes (certainly the more recent designs) are perfectly good even with it loaded up for touring.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
They give a horrible twitchy ride. I'm not a fan of tiny pygmy wheels. They can't give the gyroscopic steadiness of bigger wheels. It's simple physics. I foolishly recommended one to my wife at the start of the first Covid lockdown. She hates it too.

Yes, I know it's sacrilege.

dicko

Guru
Getting stolen is one of the reason I didn’t buy a Brompton, that and the cost of ownership it’s a rather expensive bicycle.

Kell

Veteran
Getting stolen is one of the reason I didn’t buy a Brompton, that and the cost of ownership it’s a rather expensive bicycle.

That massively depends on how you like at it.

My Brompton has proved to be less expensive than my Dahon for example.

Dahon cost £900. Wheels were so badly made that they both kept needing to be trued. Each time at about a tenner a go. Think I had the front done about 6 times and the rear about 7 or 8. In the end, I realised it was never going to be ok and bought some replacements which never needed doing again. And then the frame snapped rendering the entire bike worthless in less than three years. Not only that, but the lockjaw system needed weekly adjustments to try and prevent it squeaking.

Total cost of bike around £1,150. Residual value = £50 for the wheels that I bought and now still have in the shed.

Brompton cost £1,080. I will be the first to admit it’s not been trouble free. Had a rim split on me very early (around 1,800 miles or less than a year) on which I always felt was poor - but everyone else here said was totally acceptable.

Snapped a crank - which was probably caused by a chain coming off and damaging it without me noticing. And then continued use.

Everything else has been wear and tear. Total cost around £1,150. Residual value now. I don’t know. Conservative estimate of £500.

Even assuming I hadn’t snapped my Dahon, value of that would be probably around £150. .

So the ‘cost’ of the Brompton would still be less by some £350.

ExBrit

Über Member
I bought a Brompton four years ago and it has been perfect to my needs but I really wish I had joined this forum before I made the purchase because some of you have suggested folders that look even better. I had no idea there were so many knowledgeable people out there. Thanks.

Last edited:

12boy

Guru
I have had a lot of bikes and still have a bunch but my Brompton is my go to bike because I enjoy riding it the most. Not a great choice for snow or serious of road riding but on pavement it works just fine. I still ride my Surly Steamroller, my Holdsworth Special, my C'Dale M400, my Xootr Swift and my Mercian minivelo for a change of pace or the conditions they are better for, but my Bromptons are my favorites. The heart wants what the heart wants.

Top Bottom