Not very often

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Does anyone else do a different route back?

To avoid the headwind on the way home I go out of the way to cycle up a largish hill, just so I can turn and enjoy the downhill into the headwind. Helps when it is particularly strong.

jonathanw

Chorlton and the Wheelies
Does anyone else do a different route back?

To avoid the headwind on the way home I go out of the way to cycle up a largish hill, just so I can turn and enjoy the downhill into the headwind. Helps when it is particularly strong.

Yup, two options on the way home. One route is more hilly, but is more sheltered from the often brutal Westerly winds

baldycyclist

Über Member
I cannot believe it - massive wind this morning - drove in (did have a meeting a couple of miles from work for most of the day so used that as an excuse) - then discovered it was a fantastic tail wind as I was driving in.
Tempted to turn around and get the bike but decided the wind would stay all day and getting home would have been dangerous.
Guess what - nice and calm tonight. Bum holes is all I can say.:eek:

Bicycle

There is no such thing as a tailwind. You were performing at capacity, which resulted in you travelling much faster than you might have expected to.

Headwinds may be defined as any disturbance in the lower atmosphere blowing from between 175 degrees to 185 degrees to your rear.

It is not physically possible for a wind to blow from that 'dead zone' to your rear. You are never, ever assisted by atmospheric conditions.

The truth is that you are MUCH faster than you thought you were and are modestly looking for reasons to explain this.

I too am faster when there is a so-called 'tailwind'. Tailwinds are in the mind. It is pure, undistilled talent combined with fitness and strength.

I hope this has helped.

baldycyclist

Über Member
me also
I find that there is a feeling of lift and possibly timeshifting
There are times when I get to work before I am dressed.....the authorities have advised me to slow down getting to work.
I have insisted that pure peddle power is to answert
they have responded by fitting me with an electronic tag.
Unfortunately that now interferes with my cadence computer and I seem to go faster than the speed of light which as we all know is possible now due to the launch of Campags new group set.
Any way - I have agreed to the requests of the authority and will promise to slow down and get dressed before leaving home.

jonathanw

Chorlton and the Wheelies
Unfortunately that now interferes with my cadence computer and I seem to go faster than the speed of light which as we all know is possible now due to the launch of Campags new group set.

Surely that'll be the first time anything italian has managed more than 20 miles an hour before the rust disintegrates !!!!^_^

(Conflict of interest - I ride a bianchi..........................but with japanese components)

:becool:

Top Bottom