Novice Cyclist looking for Mont Ventoux tips

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Virtus Scientia

Hi,

I'm a new poster to this forum too. Though I appreciate this post is quite old now.

I thought I might resurrect it on the basis that I am planning on 'doing' my first Ventoux in July 2012. Some great hints and tips on here.

Re. training - as the weather is pretty dire at the moment, thick snow on the ground in my neck of the woods, I wondered if anyone could recommend any gym equipment training? I tend to use the bikes for 40 minutes at a time, on a hill or random profile. Do you think this is the best way to build up endurance? Is it better to alternate inclines, or keep plugging away at one steady incline as I might do on an actual road? I'm never sure how well gym equipment replicates the real thing, and don't want to miss out on valuable training time waiting for the snow to pass.

As an aside, I'm probably carrying about 2 stone more than my body would ideally like at the moment, and so hope to have lost this by the time I come to ascend Ventoux!

Thanks in advance for any tips

Sam

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
I found spinning classes helped - they're a reasonable way of finding out how much suffering you can tolerate for 45 minutes. It'll help shift some weight as well, and being light makes a real difference. I dropped ten kilos in ten weeks before going and doing the deed, and it made the climb a lot easier. Or at least less difficult...

Hi,

I'm a new poster to this forum too. Though I appreciate this post is quite old now.

I thought I might resurrect it on the basis that I am planning on 'doing' my first Ventoux in July 2012. Some great hints and tips on here.

Re. training - as the weather is pretty dire at the moment, thick snow on the ground in my neck of the woods, I wondered if anyone could recommend any gym equipment training? I tend to use the bikes for 40 minutes at a time, on a hill or random profile. Do you think this is the best way to build up endurance? Is it better to alternate inclines, or keep plugging away at one steady incline as I might do on an actual road? I'm never sure how well gym equipment replicates the real thing, and don't want to miss out on valuable training time waiting for the snow to pass.

As an aside, I'm probably carrying about 2 stone more than my body would ideally like at the moment, and so hope to have lost this by the time I come to ascend Ventoux!

Thanks in advance for any tips

Sam

I'm touring in early July next year and plan to hit Ventoux from Sault on or around the 10th. I have blown the budget in a sod it moment and bought a Tacx VR trainer and the RLV of Ventoux and one or two others.

Previously I was using a gym bike and rowing m/c but found them tedious after a hour or so and the cycling position on the bike poor. After spending 3 hours + on the Tacx in a session I can say no boredom and a good semi-realistic workout (obviously without the weather/temp changes or the weight of a fully loaded tourer)

betty swollocks

large member
I did all three ascents on consecutive days last June, cycling in each time from Orange, where I'd based myself.
As others have said, it's an unrelenting grind rather than steep, the difficulty of which I'd imagine depends on your own physical condition, your bike and the weather conditions. I was lucky in that the temp was hot, but not boiling and with virtually no wind. Even at the top, there was only the merest hint of a breeze, but I did feel an almost immediate need for an extra layer and was very grateful for it on the way down. Didn't need gloves, but I saw others wearing them for the descent, which, whichever way you chose, is completely exhilarating.
Overtook one bloke cycling up in flips flops (honest) on a full suss BSO: don't know if he made it.
I saw all sorts of other bikes, tourers, hybrids, racing bikes, MTB's and one tandem too.

Ajay

Veteran
thinking of doing this in summer this year... 3 routes in one day possible? thanks
It's certainly possible, sign up here and get the certificate http://www.clubcinglesventoux.org/index.php?pid=1&nav=1
If you're thinking of doing it you must already be confident in your ability, it's 4443m of climbing and would be both mentally and physically tough. A dawn start should see you up and down twice before the hottest part of the day, leave the Sault ascent 'til last as it's by far the easiest (apart from the last 6km obviously!).

Mat1976

It's certainly possible, sign up here and get the certificate http://www.clubcinglesventoux.org/index.php?pid=1&nav=1
If you're thinking of doing it you must already be confident in your ability, it's 4443m of climbing and would be both mentally and physically tough. A dawn start should see you up and down twice before the hottest part of the day, leave the Sault ascent 'til last as it's by far the easiest (apart from the last 6km obviously!).

thanks. i want a real challenge. im not a club cyclist or anything... but like a challenge.. trained and completed london to brussells 24hrs last summer, which was 240miles. apart from struggling to eat anough calories/energy i found that fine.
ive got the isle of wight on my doorstep to get some kind of hill training and the south downs not too far.... did the 55mile loop of isle of woght in under 4hrs a few times over the summer.

i saw that website earlier aswell - seems something to aim for!

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
I look on these types of things like I play golf.

Tiger Woods goes round a golf course in 52 strokes. I pay my money and go round in 104 shots.
That means I have used twice as much grass as Tiger, taken twice as long and have seen twice as much of the scenery.

OK so Tiger has won 6 million more than me, but you cannot have everything in life.

For me, stopping and taking photos is all part of the trip. As they say "You may only pass this way once in your lifetime".

Make the most of it.

Steve

Is the ride feasible in early September because I fancy attempting it now?
Tony
Traveled over ventoux twice in the first two weeks of September, once you couldn't see the hand in front of your face after the Chalet, the second time around the 12th it was glorious without a breath of wind. On both occasions it was very busy.

My top tip is to spend 10 days riding somes big cols (and quite a few small and medium ones) on a fully laden tourer, then leave all your gear at the bottom while you do the Ventoux. Makes it seem like a piece of piss, actually I felt like I'd cheated.

wintonbina

Über Member
Traveled over ventoux twice in the first two weeks of September, once you couldn't see the hand in front of your face after the Chalet, the second time around the 12th it was glorious without a breath of wind. On both occasions it was very busy.
Thanks OFF I think its a goer then for 2013. One other thing How tough is it? I did LeJoG in 9 days is that a good yardstick?
Tony

Thanks OFF I think its a goer then for 2013. One other thing How tough is it? I did LeJoG in 9 days is that a good yardstick?
Tony
:blush: On both of those occasions I was in a car, planning on taking the bike over in June in the middle of a tour. From memory it is long and constant.

Top Bottom