Novice Cyclist looking for Mont Ventoux tips

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

wintonbina

Über Member
More of an inchstick! It only takes a couple of hours^_^
:smile:

Wander Wheels

Hi All sorts of people do this on all sorts of bikes so don't be afraid of it and take your time and enjoy the ride. The worst thing is the flies flying around your face in the tree line ascent but when you reach the open area they disappear but then comes the wind! I took my time and did it a couple of years ago in under 2 hours. We got a card at the TIC at Bedoin which you stamp at a machine when you start then at the top you get it stamped again with your finish time. The views from the top are awesome and the descent is thrilling.

Polite

Über Member
First time poster here!

I’ll be 40 later this year, and one thing I really want to do in my 40th year is cycle up Mont Ventoux.

In reality it’s going to be next year (i’m thinking Easter before it gets too hot) as we’ve got our second child due this summer.

I used to do a fair bit of cycling in my younger days, although more commuting and Sunday leisure rides rather than competing.

The longest i have ever ridden is the London to Brighton charity event.

I’m pretty fit though, and have previously run 3 marathons, so I know how to train for a target. My running days are over sadly due to ongoing back problems, but I have found the back isn’t a problem cycling. I’m going to need to loose a bit of weight though as I'm just under 90kg

I need to factor riding the Ventoux into a family holiday – it’s the only way I’ll get away with it!

I’ve a few questions to ask anyone that can contribute or if you’ve ridden the Ventoux before.

First question – and the obvious one – how hard is it? The gradient profile doesn’t look that steep (7% ?) but it looks like the toughness factor is the length of the bugger at over 13 miles.

Are there recommended routes? I want to tackle it from Bedoin as I want to stop at the Tom Simpson memorial on the way up. I’m guessing the assent is going to take an hour and a half to 2 hours, possibly more? Anyway, i’d like to make a day of the ride. But I’m also mindful of my fitness levels and lack of cycling training. Any tips? My first thought is the route as in the Tim Moor French Revolutions book, a round trip from Carpentras.

In terms of equipment, is it better to take my own bike out with me or hire one out there. In an ideal world I’d buy a new machine, but that’s not financially viable. I have a fairly basic Giant road bike which is about 15years old, but it’s still in decent nick, so I’m hoping that would do the job. It would need a bit of a service though.

I’m sure there are other questions, specifically getting a training schedule together but i’m sure there are people out there who’ve got a lot of knowledge I can tap into, so I can start the ball rolling.

Thanks in advance.

Paul

I did it in August this year and I was really nervous beforehand. I'm 46, reasonably fit (I cycle everyday) and had toured through France for over 2 weeks before doing it so I was cycle fit, if that makes sense. It is very steep once you get to Chalet Raynard for the last 5km, before that it is steady, and they say expect a 20 degree difference in temperature between the bottom and top. It was my biggest physical achievement and I was very proud of myself to have got to the top. Hope it helps. Here's a snap.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    115.2 KB · Views: 151
Top Bottom