Novice looking for advice please

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PpPete

Legendary Member
Hi, me again still pestering! Decided to get a second set of wheels for my best bike. I will then have two bikes with dynamo lighting
to use, would like thoughts on rims please. Have DT Swiss TK 540 on heavyer bike and they do seem good even with Hardshells on.
Max size tyre my best frame will take is 25mm and was thinking 32 spokes, I weigh approx 68kg so don't need brick outhouse wheels
but also want them strong enough. I don't know a great deal about the ins and outs of wheels but a little research lead me to Mavic
open pro. Are these any good or what are the alternatives. Thanks again in advance of all your help.
I built my first few sets of wheels on Open Pros and they never disappointed, but brake tracks wearing out quite quickly with Audax mileages was a bit of an issue, and I think there are now better options out there. Ambrosio Excellence are good, but my current favourite are H+Son Archetypes. Not much heavier than Open Pros, and very much stiffer. The lack of eyelets is a minor PITA when building, but I've never had a spoke pull through. They are quite deep / aero so they look the business too, not that anyone was ever swayed by vanity - were we?

Top Bottom