Novice needs help! Alexrims ZX20

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Steve Pither

Hi all, my son was knocked off of his 2016/17 Cube mountain bike the other day and the result was a ruined rear wheel as well as a severely shook up 15 year old! It's an AlexrimZX20 29inch. I can't seem to find one anywhere. Any ideas??

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210404-133133_Instagram.jpg
    Screenshot_20210404-133133_Instagram.jpg
    158.1 KB · Views: 134
  • IMG_20210330_203945~3.jpg
    IMG_20210330_203945~3.jpg
    256.7 KB · Views: 135

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Any 29" rim will do. If the hub is okay I'd give it a wheel builder and ask him to lace a new one on. You might not getting a matching one.

Or get a 29" from Decathlon, this Mavic would be an upgrade:
https://www.decathlon.co.uk/p/rear-...ain-bike-mavic-crossride-fts-x/_/R-p-X8343561
They may have some alternatives.

PpPete

Legendary Member
If you do buy a new wheel, you'll need a cassette removal tool and a chain whip to swop the cassette over.

Should you fancy having a go yourself at lacing on a new rim (and it's not that difficult) then I suggest this will get you going with minimum pain.
It is undoubtedly the best £9 I have ever spent on bike stuff.

Ajax Bay

Guru
:welcome:If your local bike shop is a good one then I'd go there with the mangled wheel and ask them to salvage the hub (and cassette and rotor if still OK) and build a new wheel - they'll find a similar rim and will have (or can get) the right spokes in stock.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
Measure the ERD of the old one, or look it up if it's bent. Try to get a new rim with the same ERD or within 1mm, so you can re-use the spokes.

Obviously ignore the above if it was such a prang that the spokes are suspect.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
quite often you find that the rims / wheels supplied on a new bike, aren't necessarily available to buy (so you cant see just how cheap they are) but Alex will produce a very similar/ identical rim, but with different coloured (or no) decals on it.

D

Deleted member 26715

OP has not been back since posting on Sunday!
Okay I can sleep easy in my bed now knowing that

Top Bottom