Now *that's* a pilot

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
A comment on the Whaley Bridge Toddbrook Dam thread complimenting the flying skills of the Chinook pilot reminded me of this rescue at the start of the year.

It's in the French Alps, 7000ft up with high winds. I won't tell you what happens, it's better just to let you watch and be in awe. I've seen it at least ten times and it never fails to to elicit a genuine WTF?! even though I know what's coming.

It's a long video so I've set it to start just as the star of the show comes into view through the swirling snow.

View: https://youtu.be/DxDGK3Fo6QM?t=0m58s

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
That's just bonkers! :laugh:

OP
OP
glasgowcyclist

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
I asked the guys on our local air ambulance the same about one of their videos and he said it was to do with the refresh rate on the screen and that they weren’t going as slowly as it looked.

When filming one you can adjust your shutter speed so that it looks as if the rotor blades are stationary.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I want to know how he flies with the rotor going round at about 1 rpm. :laugh:
It's the same reason as the wheels on stagecoaches apparently going backwards in western films.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Some skillz.

Just #whaleybridge on Twitter and you'll see the Chinook hovering just above the road as they hook up more loads. Amazing...

Top Bottom