Now we can't cycle at night - even with a helmet!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Out today and parked next to a rather nice fixed machine, Giving it a quick once over I was amazed at the "Safety Sticker"

P4170003.jpg

"Bicycling can be hazardous
Always wear a safety helmet
Do not ride at night"

Amazing!

So in order to ride we now "have to" wear a helmet, and cannot go out when it is dark!

Is this really advice from a cycle manufacturer, and I wonder what evidence they base it upon?

Would you ignore this advice and ride it anyway

BigSteev

It's a bike. Of course I'd ride it. Wherever and whenever I wanted, always without a helmet. 'Safety' stickers, like bells, reflectors and any other extraneous gubbins should be removed from any bike on purchase and binned.

chap

Veteran
Talk about covering ones behind, but then your average fixie rider* wouldn't cycle at night as there would be nobody to show off to :thumbsup:

*Yes, I'm just joshing

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
I think it is an American thing as I've seen the same sticker on a US-brand BMX that's occasionally parked up in the work bike racks.

I've seen similar ass-covering stuff like this on the instruction leaflet for my Speedplay pedals. You'd think you were parachuting into Helmand from the space shuttle as every other line was "danger of serious injury or death".

arallsopp

Post of The Year 2009 winner
Bollo said:
I've seen similar ass-covering stuff like this on the instruction leaflet for my Speedplay pedals. You'd think you were parachuting into Helmand from the space shuttle as every other line was "danger of serious injury or death".

Similar thing IIRC with MistaPreston's new crank. The general outline seemed to be that installation of said item was likely to invoke Cthulhu.

Actually, it was only a few days after his LBS fitted it that Eyjafjallajokull gave its first belch...

gavintc

Guru
You had better have a look at the thread running proposing licences and testing for bicycles - talk about a risk averse society going mad!

oliglynn

Über Member
At work I saw a large plastic box on wheels plastered in stickers proclaiming "To be used by a competent person only."

Quite what qualifies one as competent to use a box on wheels I do not know. Lack of severe box related psycopathic tendencies perhaps? Or maybe just having 2 legs and half a brain cell.

I look forward to attending a "box on wheels" proficiency course very shortly... :wacko:

Top Bottom