Nu- Bike: is this a genuine improvement to bike technology?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Morning,

Although unconvinced as if it genuinely worked a 10 mile TT would take around 25 minutes and would be repeatable proof.

But it is also easy to become over cynical, after all it is known that the full circle pedal motion we use is not perfect. There is an energy cost in moving the leg up from the bottom of the stroke to the top of the stroke and varying degrees of efficiency and power delivery in the movement of the leg from the top of the stroke to the bottom.

So it would seem credible that a system where the leg motion is restricted to the most efficient movements could yield some improvements to cycling.

Clearly the recovery period afforded by the current full cycle may be reduced and over any non trivial time period reduced to such an extent that these advantages, if they exist at all, would be removed partially or completely.

I am often struck by the number of research projects that conclude that a cadence of around 60rpm is the most efficient (work performed for a given oxygen consumption) but is unstainable for even elite level athletes. Although this is contrary to what most enthusiastic cyclists practice experimentation by triathletes who need to retain the capacity for the run tend to be strong mass experimental evidence to support the lower cadence idea.

It also seems very like the people who put 10kg weights onto the rear wheel and "prove" that this makes the bike use less energy by ignoring the acceleration energy cost.

However I also have a Di2 equipped bike and it faster uphill than my D/T shifter bike, changing from a hand to a motor to shift gears should make no difference so this is clearly nonsense. Except this dismissal fails to measure the fact that the Di2 system allows for a gear change at points in the climb where the D/T system doesn't which shows that it is easy to forget a critical measurement.

So despite the nonsense demos it is still possible that a treadle is better than a fully rotating movement, however this should be so easily demonstrable that when it is not I loss faith and start thinking of cold fusion.

For those who don't follow cold fusion and think that it is all a con, which is it, there is also something very similar, muon-catalyzed fusion which is real and accepted by conventional science. Nobody seems to have any idea on now to make it a useful though as it requires a greater energy input to make it occur than it yields.

My understanding is that with just turning a crank around, not connected to a wheel or anything, just bearing resistance and lifting the legs requires between 1 and 2 watts per 10rpm, so there is not a lot of wasted energy to be saved.

Bye

Ian

Last edited:

jay clock

Massive member
i am no physicist but when she pushes down on the cranks, the trad crank is harder looking but goes right to the top. The Nu Bike one looks easier but only goes half way

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
However I also have a Di2 equipped bike and it faster uphill than my D/T shifter bike, changing from a hand to a motor to shift gears should make no difference so this is clearly nonsense. Except this dismissal fails to measure the fact that the Di2 system allows for a gear change at points in the climb where the D/T system doesn't which shows that it is easy to forget a critical measurement.
My understanding is that with just turning a crank around, not connected to a wheel or anything, just bearing resistance and lifting the legs requires between 1 and 2 watts per 10rpm, so there is not a lot of wasted energy to be saved.

It's important not to confuse efficiency with ergonomics. Di2 is no more efficient in mechanical transmission than a DT shifted system. The reason it makes bikes go marginally faster is that changing gear is quicker and easier, so you are more likely to opt for a gearchange rather than continue to ride in a sub-optimal gear because you really can't be arsed to reach down to your DT shifter too often. If I compare the way I ride bikes with bar-mounted shifters to DT shifters, I probably change gear 50% more often with bar mounted shifters, because frequent DT shifting is somewhat tiresome. It works fine for pootling on gentle terrain where frequent changes aren't needed, but on hillier terrain or in urban traffic riding, where you want to keep both hands on the bars near the brakes as much of the time as possible they are a disadvantage.

Now, for leg-spinning energy losses. Let's say a fairly large rider is pedalling at 60 RPM and they are absorbing 12 watts in their legs. They aren't pushing hard, but are riding steadily along producing a total of 100 watts, of which 88 watts is actually powering the bike. They have a physiological efficiency of 88%.
If the rider decides to spin at 90 rpm, they are now using 18 watts to move their legs. Let's assume using a lower gear has no effect one way or the other on drivetrain efficiency, and the bike still needs 88 watts to go at the same road speed. The rider now has to put out 106 watts, just to overcome the extra leg motion losses. Now the physiological efficiency becomes 88/106 or 83% not 88%. A difference that big is enough to convince me to maintain a moderate, rather than frantic cadence.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Reminiscent of the Eliptigo stand up treadle bike which appears to still be being sold.

I saw one at the Barnard Castle control of London Edinburgh London in 2012.

If I recall, there was a team of three entered in a bid to prove the Eliptigo was a viable alternative to a traditional bike.

Never seen one since, and a glance at the website suggests Eliptigos are now being pushed more as gym equipment/training aids.

https://www.elliptigo.co.uk/

lazybloke

Considering a new username
I'd like to have a go on one - just to see.

The 10 mile time trial and a hill climb would sort out the query- strange that they've chosen not to do that,

Thanks for all the comments, I think that's put to bed now!
Strange, or telling.

I'd also like to try - the absence of oily chain, associated gubbins and simplification of frame look interesting, but there would be power losses in the hub, and definitely larger gaps between gear ratios. And hub gears aren't cheap!

Top Bottom