NuBike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Smudge

Veteran
Intriguing..... not heard of these bikes before.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I'm hesitant to criticise something without being properly qualified, but what I will say is that their video was rather annoying.

Treadle bikes have been around at least as long as chain driven bikes. Chains have undergone significant change in that time, and there have been numerous attempts at producing a workable treadle bike. (Yes, autocorrect, I did mean treadle not treacle).

What evidence do they have that bikes cause joint problems?

That said, materials and techniques move on, so maybe they have something.

DRM

Guru
I honestly think that was like one of those irritating JML ads, with some poor American soul who has lots of problems doing anything as shown in the greatly exaggerated advert, as shown here, I’m certain this treadle type of bike was the first version of the bike, they state that the design of the bicycle hasn’t changed, that’s simple, it just works, it hurts your knees, not if you set it up properly it doesn’t, it’s a faff to change a wheel, no it’s not I can do it reasonably quickly, never mind how quickly the pro race team mechanics can do it, chains are greasy, no they shouldn’t be,this is just like trying to sell a horse & cart in lieu of a car, a stupid idea that’s doomed to failure.

Worse, a solution pretending to solve a non-existent problem.

OP
OP
Mart44

Mart44

Über Member
I'd be interested in trying the bike if one ever comes a cycling shop near me. However, I think that's unlikely to happen during the rest of my cycling years. Even if the bike turns out to be good, it probably wouldn't be affordable within that time anyway. I just thought I'd highlight the bike as a bit of interesting mechanics.

I feel the same about the ad. I wasn't aware that cycling was bad for the knees. I broke my kneecap into three bits some years back and cycling has never caused any trouble for that. I couldn't be scared into buying the bike on health grounds :smile: but I'd still like to give one a try.

Last edited:

Drago

Legendary Member
I don't understand the point about joint pain. The motion of the ankle and knee don't seem that different to me. Is this a solution looking for a problem?

Indeed, the knee makes a truncated circular motion while walking, and that doesn't seem to cause problems.

As @DCBassman correctly surm8sed, they're trying to invent problems, or bigging up very, very minor issues, to justify their product.

Last edited:

Drago

Legendary Member
We don't need to ride the bikes - which may indeed be nice machines to ride, that's not seemingly under dispute - to see what a crock their promotional video is.

Smudge

Veteran
We don't need to ride the bikes - which may indeed be nice machines to ride, that's not seemingly under dispute - to see what a crock their promotional video is.

Promo vids and product adverts are always at best economical with the truth and at worst mostly BS.
Thought that was a given.

C R

Guru
Promo vids and product adverts are always at best economical with the truth and at worst mostly BS.
Thought that was a given.
But if you are aiming for an audience that actually know their stuff, you would have thought that the makers should know that they needed to do better.

Top Bottom