Numb Hand

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

porridge

Its probably a dumb question

but I Wondered if anyone could tell me how to deal with a numb left hand?, I have been commuting for 5 weeks now and my left hand keeps going numb, I am presuming that this is to much weight bearing down on the my arms to the handlebars, I am riding a hybrid.

Do I just need to raise my handlebars?

Thanks

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
I had this on my old bike - getting decent cycling mitts cured it (I use the Specialized BG comp mitts).

Perry

Check the alignment of your seat, it may be slightly off-centre causing more weight on the left side.

Is there a chance your handlebars may be lower on one side?

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Get some bar ends as well as they offer more hand positions. - That's the big advantage with droped handlebars - loads of places to place one's hands.

LondonCommuter

Try your saddle position too & check the angle of the brake levers (i.e. if your wrist is bent when you're cruising along you might get problems). Li

rootes

I have just starting using these on my brompton:

14461.jpg

very comfortable - cost between £8 and £12 depending on you lbs

Phixion

What brand/name are they rootes? Specialized?

I like the way they have a cut out ready for bar ends...

shimano

aha! someone else with the same problem. This happens to me all the time and I had bar ends on my old mtb. The left hand always goes first so I had thought it might be circulation problems but apparently not according to the doc. Never tried mitts so maybe they're next on the shopping list.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I get slight pins and needles with my commuter on occasions - even with 12 solid months on it - drop bars are by far the best as I've never had issues - why - it's how weight is distributed.

Deffo get gloves and these will spread the pressure points, and move and shift your hands.

I do find that I'm always covering my brakes commuting - not a natural position on a flat bar (what I use most - MTB bike) but it's easier on my roadie - i.e. top of lever hoods.... although that causes more problems with flippin road speed... !!!!!!

andrew_s

Legendary Member
The numbness is because a nerve in your wrist or the base of your hand is getting squashed for too long. This could be because you are putting too much pressure on it, or it could be due to the angle you are holding your wrist at.

If it's pressure, then better bar grips, padded mitts or a more upright position will help.
If it's the angle of your wrists, then things that may help are bar-ends (and using them), rotating your brake levers round the bar a bit, or switching the bar to a model that's a different shape - eg these On-One Mary bars. With drop bars, it could help to change the angle of the bars or the position of the levers on the curve of the drop.

The other thing that helps in moving your hands around more, or even taking them off the bars. This way you don't get to the "too long" stage. You may feel a little tingling, usually down the little finger, as you start to approach too long. Take it as a warning to start waving your hands.

rootes

Phixion said:
What brand/name are they rootes? Specialized?

14461.jpg

I like the way they have a cut out ready for bar ends...

yep they do mens and womens versions

but thems no cutouts that alloy but is the clamp that holds them to the bars - very good too.

they is another company that does this type grip with a built in bar end..

Ergon is the name

Si

Keith Oates

Janner
I had a serious problem with this a few years back, so much so thatt he muscle on the back of the hand between fore finger and thumb began to waste away. I was told to stop riding which is not really possible for me butt he use of padded gloves and a deliberate effort to not place weight on the hands overcame the problem!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think you are trying to cure the problem rather than look at the reason (symptom not disease). Yes you can try to spread out the pressure a bit by padding or wider contact area but why not look to reducing the pressure on the hands?

Move the saddle back 5mm on one ride and see if it helps (repeat and required) Too far back makes my back ache so it is all trial and error.

This should tip you back and take the weight off your hands. It worked for me.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Ergon grips are excellent, but make sure you buy the correct size for your hands. I ws given some in large but found them too thick for my smallish hands so changed them for small size.

Also try moving the saddle back as described above though that might throw more weight onto your hands so try both ways. The attitude of the saddle is also important - tilted too far forwards will be pushing you onto the bars, whereas flat or even slightly up at the nose will support your weight more independently from the bars. Definitely get some padded mitts - those with gel are good but don't like being washed too much or too hot.

Top Bottom