Numb left hand

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Emsy4

I always get pins and needles in my right hand and sometimes toes that side on longer rides! Not really given it much thought before. ...

sackville d

Veteran
Indeed the 1st signs that my nerve issue is flaring up is referred pain under the left shoulder blade even though the issue is further up and affects my left hand .
I reckon we need to ditch the bikes ..........
stock-photo-wheeled-zimmer-frame-isolated-with-clipping-path-52457791.jpg
I love the work surface.Hydrolic or cable brakes?

Katherine

Guru
I agree with Mike G, it's shoulder and neck related. I get numbness in both hands if I've been hunched over for too long. You can do warm up exercises for your neck and shoulders before you set off. Then do some stretches afterwards. Get a neck massage too.

OP
OP
sheffgirl

sheffgirl

I think maybe it is shoulder related, they're really sore this morning. I think I need a rest, I've just done 5 days solid 20 miles a day. I woke up with pins and needles in both arms, so something is swollen / tense in that area! Its happened before a few times but only one arm and I'm guessing I must have laid funny on those occasions.
Hopefully I can persuade someone to give me a massage ;)

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
I think maybe it is shoulder related, they're really sore this morning. I think I need a rest, I've just done 5 days solid 20 miles a day. I woke up with pins and needles in both arms, so something is swollen / tense in that area! Its happened before a few times but only one arm and I'm guessing I must have laid funny on those occasions.
Hopefully I can persuade someone to give me a massage ;)
I wake up every morning with this , goes after a hour or so .
The best movement i have found is chin to neck, which pulls the neck posture back , look up whilst trying to keep that chin pulled in neck angle and look left /right .
I would post some more you tube links but for some reason i cant get any to play atm so its hard to help .

gavgav

Guru
I keep getting numb fingers and thumb on my left hand whilst cycling, it kicks in after a few miles. Also I get pain in the heel of my hand.
I try shifting hand position but it doesn't seem to help. I can only think that I hold my left hand differently; I dont change rings very often if at all so I don't position my hand over the levers as much.
Any ideas anyone?
I have the same trouble. And again it's the left hand! I'm better since I fitted bar ends and alternating positions helps.

Saluki

World class procrastinator
Indeed the 1st signs that my nerve issue is flaring up is referred pain under the left shoulder blade even though the issue is further up and affects my left hand .
I reckon we need to ditch the bikes ..........
You speak for yourself!:laugh:

Attachments

• stock-photo-wheeled-zimmer-frame-isolated-with-clipping-path-52457791.jpg
    21.2 KB · Views: 4

Katherine

Guru
Are you feeling any better this morning?
You could try taking some anti-imflamatries just for a few days, as a short term help, but resting is important.
When it settles, you need to make sure you try and prevent it from reoccurring. Try and alter your position when riding. Sit up for a minute, ride with one hand and stretch and twist the other arm and shoulder, then swap. At my half way point of 22 miles, I get off and do a few, very quick stretches and twists. None of that takes more than a minute, but makes a big difference in preventing problems with soreness and numbness.

Top Bottom