Numb right foot

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MrRidley

After riding about 10mls, my right foot from the ball to the toes starts to go numb, i'm using Spesh mtb shoes with M520's, it only seems to happen with the right foot, after 10mls i've got to stop and sort of shake my foot about to release the numbness, it's becoming a bit of a pain tbh, any ideas ?

gbb

Legendary Member
You're not new to clipless are you bhoy ?. I ask because when i started out, i found i was bunching my toes without realising it. Relaxing the feet while riding (after advice on here) sorted it for me.

OP
OP
M

MrRidley

gbb said:
You're not new to clipless are you bhoy ?. I ask because when i started out, i found i was bunching my toes without realising it. Relaxing the feet while riding (after advice on here) sorted it for me.

Yes i am new to clipless, been using them for about 2 month, if i was bunching my toes would it not be on both feet ?

sticky sherbert

gbb said:

Same here, I still do it sometimes especially if it's wet on the roads:wacko:
I get over the numbness by wiggling my toes while still riding.
It's always in my right foot to

PpPete

Legendary Member
Don't get it with clipless, but I did have a pair of flat-soled "touring shoes" designed for use with toe-clips (back in the day....) that I never got on with because of pins & needles in right foot.

chirk2000ad

I had the same numbness in my right foot - is there anyone out there who gets it in the left!

Pull out the insole of the cycling shoe. Place it on the floor and then put your foot on it. If your foot looks too wide for the insole the shoe is squeezing your foot and nipping one of your inter-digital nerves, hence the tingling and numbness.

Do not perserve with it - you will develop a painful condition called a mortons neuroma which is essentially a thickening of said nerve and a proper nightmare to get rid off!

You may need to purchase wider shoes? I got the spesh sonoma and it sorted itself out.

JiMBR

I wonder if the problem occurs on the 'dominant' foot most of the time.

You probably put slightly more pressure on the right pedal if you're right footed (both on the up and down strokes).

Just an idea. :headshake:

Mr Pig

I had a pair of Specialized MTB shoes and I didn't get on with them. Not saying that's your problem but I gave up on a pair of £60 shoes, they just never seemed to be right.

Actually, I don't rate Specialized Body Geometry stuff much at all. I've had quite a few things which have been less than brilliant. I've got a brand new pair of bolt-on grips in the shed that I've never been able to use because the one bolt that holds them on is far too small, and made of cheese, so stripped as soon as I touched it. Utter junk and cost about £25.

Jonathan M

Mr Pig said:
Actually, I don't rate Specialized Body Geometry stuff much at all.

+1, I still use the Spesh BG shoes I bought, but only after learning that they need careful lacing and the velcro straps fastening carefully - not tightly, mind!

The BG shoes still feel odd, I'm not sure that the support is the right shpae for my feet.

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
Jonathan M said:
+1, I still use the Spesh BG shoes I bought, but only after learning that they need careful lacing and the velcro straps fastening carefully - not tightly, mind!

The BG shoes still feel odd, I'm not sure that the support is the right shpae for my feet.

Trouble with shoes is that everyone's feet are different, always try before you buy...

Mr Pig

Jonathan M said:

That's how I felt about them, they just felt wrong. The front of the shoe was too narrow, they were too high at the ankle and let so much air through your feet were freezing most of the time.

I also had a BG saddle that was rubbish. It didn't matter where you sat on the thing it always felt like you should be sitting somewhere else. I tried to get used to it but was relieved to take it off. I thought it might just not suit my ample rear so I put it on my son's bike, didn't mention that I hadn't liked it, and he started moaning about it straight away! Ended up having to take it off his bike too, it's lying in the shed now.

I've got two different types of BG mits. The cheaper ones are the best but the palm padding on both types is in the wrong place.

The BG bolt-on grips are the worst though. The single screw that is supposed to hold them on is utterly unfit for its job. Specialized make such a big deal about the development and testing that's gone into these products but when I look at them I just don't see it. Seems to me that they are designed to look clever and little real world testing is done at all.

Steve Austin

The Marmalade Kid
Gerry Attrick said:
... I moved the cleats back a few millimeters .....

cleat position will definitely cause foot pain. t
try riding with the shoe very loose. tight shoes will cause numbness, and the initial stiffness of the sole can cause cramp type pain-only cure is to ride more

nothing wrong with spesh bg shoes. the best shoes on the market

Top Bottom