Numbness - How to alleviate it?!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gunja99

I went out for another 33 odd miler on Saturday, and got numb TOES around the 20 mile mark. Not bum (that's fine).

Wearing running trainers (not bike ones yet!), and they're not too tight. My other half moans of numb toes during running, but I've never experienced it before (and I run A LOT!)

Assume it is tightness of laces, or maybe the shoes, but I'd have assumed proper road running shoes would be ok?

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Shoes I'm afraid. If you don't fancy clipped in, then you need to look at cycling specific shoes - e.g. touring shoes, or MTB flat shoes. You can also get cycling trainers - I have a pair of these for 'family' cycling - still have my cleats on the trainers, but it's much easier to walk as the soles aren't as stiff as my full on MTB shoes.

Running shoes are way too flexible for bikes, basically the 'arch' of your foot needs to be much stiffer. Another reason for numb toes can be where the ball of your foot is sitting - should ideally be over the axel, but that's not always easy if not clipped in.

Hudson1984

Über Member
Been there my friend and it's no fun.

Can't tell you the science behind it but can say moving to clipless made a huge difference - the having a bike fit with the clipless setup got rid of it completely.

I imagine the problem is with the way you put pressure on the foot on pedal, i.e. you push forward, meaning everything is getting pushed into the toe area. With clipless this doesn't happen as the sole is solid so it cannot compress.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Running shoes are way too flexible for bikes, basically the 'arch' of your foot needs to be much stiffer. Another reason for numb toes can be where the ball of your foot is sitting - should ideally be over the axel, but that's not always easy if not clipped in.
I agree about foot positioning but disagree about flexibility of shoes. Flexible is fine as long as your pedal supports more of your feet. Harder soles become more important if your pedal has a small contact area (such as rat traps or most double-sided clip pedals) but then they generally don't last as long and suck more for walking.

fossyant

I agree about foot positioning but disagree about flexibility of shoes. Flexible is fine as long as your pedal supports more of your feet. Harder soles become more important if your pedal has a small contact area (such as rat traps or most double-sided clip pedals) but then they generally don't last as long and suck more for walking.

We will have to disagree then. Not so much the sole, but the internal construction - a cycling specific shoe will offer more support mid foot towards the heal and prevent excessive foot flex, unlike a flexy running shoe - running shoes are for running. A stiffer soled 'everyday' shoe would work, but not a running shoe.

You'd not catch me doing any distance in a pair of trainers.

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
Numbness is likely caused by poor relation between ball of foot and pedal axle (ie move your foot further forward on the pedal or cleat back on clipless shoes) or lack of internal arch support in the shoe.

OP
OP
gunja99

gunja99

Thanks for the answers guys. I've only just taken up cycling, and only recently got the bike (Triban road bike). I put on Shimano 324 pedals (dual sided, though bigger than other dual sided), In the hope that I'd go clipped in sooner rather than later (had single sided SPD pedals when I got it). Maybe it is flexibility. I only use the bike when going for a ride (i.e. not off for walks after, etc), so will probably bite the bullet and get some "proper" shoes. All makes sense to me :smile:

RoubaixCube

~Tribanese~
Also as a suggestion.

BODY GEOMETRY SL FOOTBEDS - If youre doing long rides, these are great in offsetting a condition called 'hot foot'. Call it like a preventative measure. I still get hot foot occasionally if im pushing really hard and been on the bike a long time but it goes away quite quickly if i ease up the pace.

You dont need to get it but its like one of these QoL things that make long rides much more bearable.

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
Also as a suggestion.

BODY GEOMETRY SL FOOTBEDS - If youre doing long rides, these are great in offsetting a condition called 'hot foot'. Call it like a preventative measure. I still get hot foot occasionally if im pushing really hard and been on the bike a long time but it goes away quite quickly if i ease up the pace.

You dont need to get it but its like one of these QoL things that make long rides much more bearable.
Foot support is rarely a bad thing. I've had the blue BG beds for years but never (I don't really know why) had anything in my other shoes, occasional knee issues and ITB Syndrome eventually lead to collapsed arches, NHS podiatry and my own custom beds

TLDR: I needed support all of the time, not just on the bike

When work returns to normality I'm investing in https://www.sigmasports.com/item/G8-Performance/2620-Shoe-Insoles/8LDZ

**Edit: Just ordered them :laugh:

Last edited:

OldShep

Über Member
We will have to disagree then. Not so much the sole, but the internal construction - a cycling specific shoe will offer more support mid foot towards the heal and prevent excessive foot flex, unlike a flexy running shoe - running shoes are for running. A stiffer soled 'everyday' shoe would work, but not a running shoe.

You'd not catch me doing any distance in a pair of trainers.
Have you actually seen how stiff the sole is on some running shoes?
i ride in a pair of Sportiva or some gore Innov8 Roclite 315 both have very stiff soles.
I did did a LEJOG wearing a £30 or of trainers and V8 pedals with no problems of sore feet at all.

fossyant

Have you actually seen how stiff the sole is on some running shoes?
i ride in a pair of Sportiva or some gore Innov8 Roclite 315 both have very stiff soles.
I did did a LEJOG wearing a £30 or of trainers and V8 pedals with no problems of sore feet at all.

OP says he does lots of running so potentially is using something a lot softer - ie. a road running shoe. The Innov8 is a trail shoe, so will be tougher.

Trying to help the OP rather than argue about different running shoes. Shoe and foot position is likely to be an issue.

Top Bottom