Numbness - How to alleviate it?!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
We will have to disagree then. Not so much the sole, but the internal construction - a cycling specific shoe will offer more support mid foot towards the heal and prevent excessive foot flex, unlike a flexy running shoe - running shoes are for running. A stiffer soled 'everyday' shoe would work, but not a running shoe.

You'd not catch me doing any distance in a pair of trainers.
Feel free to disagree but you seem to have very little experience of cycling in soft-soled shoes, whereas I've ridden in them for all but 3 of my 40ish years without cycling-caused problems. I probably rode quite a lot in office shoes, but in recent years, even those have had Doc-Marten-style soft soles.

Foot position or lack of foot support are far more likely culprits IMO.

Slick

Guru
Also as a suggestion.

BODY GEOMETRY SL FOOTBEDS - If youre doing long rides, these are great in offsetting a condition called 'hot foot'. Call it like a preventative measure. I still get hot foot occasionally if im pushing really hard and been on the bike a long time but it goes away quite quickly if i ease up the pace.

You dont need to get it but its like one of these QoL things that make long rides much more bearable.
I just got another version for footwear off the bike that gas helped loads, but I wondered what is the significance of colour differences?

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Thanks for the answers guys. I've only just taken up cycling, and only recently got the bike (Triban road bike). I put on Shimano 324 pedals (dual sided, though bigger than other dual sided), [...]
PD-M324_2_750_750.jpg

They've not got significantly bigger contact areas than rat-traps. Basically, it's a series of hard metal bars pushing into your soles instead of wide soft pads. That's a quick way to DIY random reflexology IMO.

For contrast, here's some of my usuals:
38827-250x250.jpg

vickster

Legendary Member
I just got another version for footwear off the bike that gas helped loads, but I wondered what is the significance of colour differences?
Different arch - from high to neutral to flat footed which the Specialized site seems to omit from the description :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Red = minimal contours for riders that prefer minimal support
Blue = moderate (slightly higher longitudinal arch & metatarsal button) = for people with flat to standard arch
Green = significant support = for people with standard or high arches

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
Red = minimal contours for riders that prefer minimal support
Blue = moderate (slightly higher longitudinal arch & metatarsal button) = for people with flat to standard arch
Green = significant support = for people with standard or high arches

Slick

Guru
Probably too complicated for me. My physio told me what to get from Amazon with no choice but she would maybe know exactly what I required. Made a huge difference off the bike but sometimes I feel my feet can swell even on short rides and I wondered if something similar would help.

OldShep

Über Member
OP says he does lots of running so potentially is using something a lot softer - ie. a road running shoe. The Innov8 is a trail shoe, so will be tougher.

Trying to help the OP rather than argue about different running shoes. Shoe and foot position is likely to be an issue.
The OP didn’t specify where he ran or as in what type of shoe so I fail to see how you can just dismiss it as being a soft shoe problem and the cure might be to buy a specific cycling shoe. That’s not my experience.
Shoe fitting might easily be a consideration but foot position when on flats is highly unlikely as the big advantage of flats is your foot is sitting naturally. The type of pedal maybe contributing.
I speak as someone who happily used ATAC for 20 yrs without a problem. Switched to Shimano set my cleats wrong and my only way back to knee health was using flats. I’ve been there ever since.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
The OP didn’t specify where he ran or as in what type of shoe so I fail to see how you can just dismiss it as being a soft shoe problem and the cure might be to buy a specific cycling shoe. That’s not my experience.
Shoe fitting might easily be a consideration but foot position when on flats is highly unlikely as the big advantage of flats is your foot is sitting naturally. The type of pedal maybe contributing.
I speak as someone who happily used ATAC for 20 yrs without a problem. Switched to Shimano set my cleats wrong and my only way back to knee health was using flats. I’ve been there ever since.
OP said he has road running shoes. Keep up old chap.

:laugh:

OP
OP
gunja99

gunja99

I currently run in Saucony Hurricanes (support/overpronation) shoes, upgrading from guides (get through 3-4 pairs a year, as I run 100+ miles per month).

Cycling new to me and especially drop bar bike. TBH I don't really "care" what shoes I use for cycling, and the feedback here has been great. I want comfort, and will probably try out from proper cycling shoes soon with cleats etc, but wanted to get used to drop bars first. I don't plan on walking far at all after using them, as it's the weekend long rides I am after. I just assumed "trainers" would be best to wear, but maybe something else in the cupboard will be good until I decide to take the clear plunge :smile: TBH wiggling my toes a bit helped, and it went away. My other half says happens to her running, but I've never experienced that!

Thanks for the information, all a massive learning curve this, and didn't realise footwear was yet another important factor!! What have I got myself into lol :laugh::laugh:

OP
OP
gunja99

gunja99

View attachment 534486
They've not got significantly bigger contact areas than rat-traps. Basically, it's a series of hard metal bars pushing into your soles instead of wide soft pads. That's a quick way to DIY random reflexology IMO.

For contrast, here's some of my usuals:
View attachment 534487

Now this makes total sense about the contact surface area, until you have it explained like that with pictures, I thought made sense, hah!

OldShep

Über Member
"
OP said he has road running shoes. Keep up old chap.

:laugh:
Yes you are right the OP did say that.
My initial reply was questioning what you had said.
Running shoes are way too flexible for bikes, basically the 'arch' of your foot needs to be much stiffer. Another reason for numb toes can be where the ball of your foot is sitting - should ideally be over the axel, but that's not always easy if not clipped in.
The shoe examples I gave you are indeed running shoes they have arch support or I wouldn’t buy them being prone to PF. They must surely be of interest to someone who runs anyway. Why buy cycling specific?
As for not being always easy to position the foot right if not clipped in. That’s not my experience at all and it’s like something I might have said years ago when I was a clipped in devotee. You might guess that i'm a flat pedal and whatever shoe you’re wearing rider now and my life is much simpler.
My only experience of numb toes has been from long rides with toeclips, tight shoes, or too thick a sock.

johnnyb47

Guru
I used to suffer from numb toes out on longer rides When it started to become an issue i took time to understand what was causing it. At the time i was just using normal regular trainers and around 40/50 miles my toes would start to numb.I noticed it was my feet position on the peddles that caused it, which in turn made me curl my toes down. After a few miles you subconsciously position your feet to what you think is the most comfortable way you can, but after time you end up paying for it.
Going clipless with a hard soled cycling shoe has all but sorted it out.. My feet are now held in the optimum position and the stiffer sole has stopped my toes from curling down which in turn has stopped the numbness.
Obviously were all different and suffer from things like numb toes for different reasons, but i thought i would share my thoughts and hope this helps

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
Shoe and foot position is likely to be an issue.

Absolutely, I'm surprised there's so much overwhelming support for the idea that it's the wrong kind of trainer.
It could easily be foot position. Could be saddle position too. Numb toes is a hard thing to pin down!

I'm going to throw another spanner in the works and say it could even be the wrong saddle... I've had numb toes from a wrong saddle before, nerves and arteries can be pressured with the manifestation being right down in the toes.

Changing the OP's running shoe manufacturer won't necessarily solve this.

Edit: I see the OP wiggled his toes and it went away! There's the answer then, nothing wrong. Stop once in a while and wiggle your toes, that's the simple cure.

Last edited:
Top Bottom