Numbness - How to alleviate it?!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I probably rode quite a lot in office shoes, but in recent years, even those have had Doc-Marten-style soft soles.

Office shoes/doc Marten style soles aren't that soft and usually reasonably sturdy - take a google of the OP's 'road running shoe'. They also have a very soft 'toe box' or what ever you call them, very soft soles and the re-inforcing bar isn't anywhere near where your foot is on a pedal - which potentially transfers pedal stresses forwards in the shoe.

Something more sturdy would be better. I'd be happy to ride for a while in my walking shoes, but I'p pick something like a DMR V8 rather than a rubber coated pedal as some shoes slip badly on wet rubber coated pedals. The problem with my walking shoes it they are bulky so you can get excessive heal rub on the cranks.

Anyway, I give up as some folk will argue red is green round here, and the OP's specific shoes aren't ideal. He will also probably knacker them up for running, so will need two pairs (not that you should keep running shoes that long).

OP
OP
gunja99

gunja99

Absolutely, I'm surprised there's so much overwhelming support for the idea that it's the wrong kind of trainer.
It could easily be foot position. Could be saddle position too. Numb toes is a hard thing to pin down!

I'm going to throw another spanner in the works and say it could even be the wrong saddle... I've had numb toes from a wrong saddle before, nerves and arteries can be pressured with the manifestation being right down in the toes.

Changing the OP's running shoe manufacturer won't necessarily solve this.

Edit: I see the OP wiggled his toes and it went away! There's the answer then, nothing wrong. Stop once in a while and wiggle your toes, that's the simple cure.
Hah no don't bring in saddles too! Only getting a chance to ride once a week (which I hate, as loving the bike), but sure will get used to it :smile: Great answers all though thanks!

vickster

Legendary Member
Hah no don't bring in saddles too! Only getting a chance to ride once a week (which I hate, as loving the bike), but sure will get used to it :smile: Great answers all though thanks!
Stop that running nonsense and use the time to cycle instead :whistle:

OP
OP
gunja99

gunja99

Stop that running nonsense and use the time to cycle instead :whistle:
Hahah, on a "run everyday for 100 days" challenge at the moment, finishes Thursday, so give that a bit of a rest and get on two wheels more. Still a very fair weather (and I'll include wind in that), and the UK been a little breezy the last few weeks too! I'll get there slowly, loving it :smile:

Top Bottom