Numpty audio connection question

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
srw

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
Yeah, but is that your left or my left which is potentially arbitrary
As long as the arbitrary left of the sound engineer and the arbitrary left of the listener are the same it really doesn't matter.

[edit]
On the lead question - easy availability is more important than price. I shall pop into Maplin tomorrow and see what I can find.

swansonj

Guru
As long as the arbitrary left of the sound engineer and the arbitrary left of the listener are the same it really doesn't matter.
As long as those k muons keep spinning off in the same direction....

Sorry, I knew I wouldn't be able to resist indefinitely...

swansonj

Guru
What??? , but understand if you don't answer due to derailment
It was an allusion to an issue in physics, which I thought the OP might appreciate, even though he regrettably :smile: read maths and philosophy rather than physics.

Suppose you are trying to describe to someone over the telephone which is left and which is right - in this case, which is the left speaker and which is the right. You're on the phone so you can't point. Everything you can describe is relative to something else - which side of the orchestra the violins sit on, which side of the road we drive on, which side of our body the heart is. So how do you know that their entire world is not reversed compared to ours? You could send them a labelled drawing by a fax, or a jpeg or a gif, but how do you tell them which side of the picture the bits start?

Under classical physics, we used to think that there was no way it was possible to check whether a remote person has the same left and right as you - left and right have meaning as opposites of each other but, in absolute terms, are arbitrary. In classical physics, the violins in a distant alien orchestra could sit on the other stage of the stage, they could still call it "right", and neither we nor they could ever tell that it wasn't the same as ours. In physicists' jargon, this is called conservation of all properties under reversal of parity, or "parity conservation".

Then along came quantum physics, and sometime in the 1950s (my undergraduate physics is too long ago to remember exactly and I can't be bothered to look it up on Wiki), some very clever people discovered particles (the k muon was IIRC the first) which, when they decay, chuck out one of the particles they decay into in one direction rather than the other, and that gives us a basis for defining left and right. We tell our aliens over the phone to observe the decay of k muons, and that direction is what we call
Left. In the jargon again, that is called breaking (or violation) of the combined charge and parity symmetry, or CP violation.

Disclaimer: I last did this stuff as second year undergraduate physics thirty years ago, the physics I do now is different, and I may have got this all wrong. But who cares? :smile:

lazybloke

Considering a new username
To the left, to the right...

There are some songs that use panning effects (not sure about Agadoo).
Film soundtracks definitely do.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
A purist would argue that volume knob and gain are not necessarily the same....

But does it go up to eleven? That's the important thing

raleighnut

Legendary Member
11 pah, my QUAD goes to 22

Quad 001.JPG

OP
OP
srw

srw

A purist would argue that volume knob and gain are not necessarily the same....

But a numpty wouldn't know the difference. That'll do for me.

Part of the reason I didn't look much further than the box I bought is that the headphones volume does indeed go up to 11.

It also has a midi connector and windows 10 drivers, and not too many features I don't need.

lutonloony

Über Member
It was an allusion to an issue in physics, which I thought the OP might appreciate, even though he regrettably :smile: read maths and philosophy rather than physics.

Suppose you are trying to describe to someone over the telephone which is left and which is right - in this case, which is the left speaker and which is the right. You're on the phone so you can't point. Everything you can describe is relative to something else - which side of the orchestra the violins sit on, which side of the road we drive on, which side of our body the heart is. So how do you know that their entire world is not reversed compared to ours? You could send them a labelled drawing by a fax, or a jpeg or a gif, but how do you tell them which side of the picture the bits start?

Under classical physics, we used to think that there was no way it was possible to check whether a remote person has the same left and right as you - left and right have meaning as opposites of each other but, in absolute terms, are arbitrary. In classical physics, the violins in a distant alien orchestra could sit on the other stage of the stage, they could still call it "right", and neither we nor they could ever tell that it wasn't the same as ours. In physicists' jargon, this is called conservation of all properties under reversal of parity, or "parity conservation".

Then along came quantum physics, and sometime in the 1950s (my undergraduate physics is too long ago to remember exactly and I can't be bothered to look it up on Wiki), some very clever people discovered particles (the k muon was IIRC the first) which, when they decay, chuck out one of the particles they decay into in one direction rather than the other, and that gives us a basis for defining left and right. We tell our aliens over the phone to observe the decay of k muons, and that direction is what we call
Left. In the jargon again, that is called breaking (or violation) of the combined charge and parity symmetry, or CP violation.

Disclaimer: I last did this stuff as second year undergraduate physics thirty years ago, the physics I do now is different, and I may have got this all wrong. But who cares? :smile:
Thanks for that, sort of understand it ( as much as an o leveller can)

OP
OP
srw

srw

Thanks all for the reassurance. It all works very nicely with the BBC iPlayer. I'm about to test it out with the software I want to use. Fingers crossed....

Top Bottom