Numpty Gearing Question (esp for climbing)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Some very good answers above. My answer to this question is quite a lot. The very idea of a 34/26 bottom gear has just given my legs a nervous breakdown.
Ha ha...

My superfit pal Carrie had bike problems on the recent Ribble Valley/Dales ride so we got the bike shop in Settle to replace her worn cassette. I asked her what range of sprockets she had on it and she didn't have a clue - "whatever was on the bike when I bought it"! I know that she shoots up 20% climbs on the bike so I was pretty shocked to discover that her lowest gear was 34/23! :eek: They didn't have an 11-23 in stock so they replaced it with an 11-25. My lowest gear is 28/30 and I use it on anything steeper than about 10%... :whistle: (Mind you, I do weigh about double what she does, which doesn't help!)

si_c

Guru
Ha ha...

My superfit pal Carrie had bike problems on the recent Ribble Valley/Dales ride so we got the bike shop in Settle to replace her worn cassette. I asked her what range of sprockets she had on it and she didn't have a clue - "whatever was on the bike when I bought it"! I know that she shoots up 20% climbs on the bike so I was pretty shocked to discover that her lowest gear was 34/23! :eek: They didn't have an 11-23 in stock so they replaced it with an 11-25. My lowest gear is 28/30 and I use it on anything steeper than about 10%... :whistle: (Mind you, I do weigh about double what she does, which doesn't help!)
:eek::blink:
I replaced the freewheel on one of my Pugs after attempting an 11% gradient in a 42/21 which resulted in a fair amount of swearing. Definitely wouldn't attempt a 20% with anything less than a 32t at the rear.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Sunny Portrush
Some interesting answers so thank you - also, some stuff which flew completely over my head (the bits about swapping over cassettes, not having a big enough rear derailleur etc). I think a visit to the bike shop may be in order!

I`m on the original mech for my 2014 Cannondale so will see if it`s possible to take the drivetrain off my good bike (an Argon 18), put it on the Cannondale and get something slightly easier to pedal uphill on the Argon, or is that a non-starter?

Globalti

Legendary Member
One of my worst ever cycling days was in South Africa when my agent kindly borrowed a bike for me and I went out for a ride with two of his friends. It was a painfully stiff aluminium bike and it had a triple chainset with something ridiculous like 40 / 50 / 62 rings. The problem was that the front derailleur wasn't capable of changing down onto the 40 so you had to get off and push the chain over with your fingers. It was an extremely hilly private road, about 35 miles with about 3000 feet of climbing, most of which I accomplished standing on the pedals in the 50 ring, meaning I quickly became exhausted and my knees ached afterwards. On the other hand it went extremely fast downhill, though of course the downhill joy only lasts for a fraction of the duration of the uphill grinds. God knows why the owner had fitted such an immense big ring on the bike.

100_0812.jpg

simon.r

Person
I`m on the original mech for my 2014 Cannondale so will see if it`s possible to take the drivetrain off my good bike (an Argon 18), put it on the Cannondale and get something slightly easier to pedal uphill on the Argon, or is that a non-starter?

In principle, yes, but IME there will probably be some compatibly issues (things like front mech fitting and BB axle length). Given your self confessed ignorance of all things mechanical I’d let a shop look at it

Reactions: C R
OP
OP
Sunny Portrush
There`s no danger of me looking at it - LBS here I come!

Top Bottom