Nuovo Record Rear Mech Capacity

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Hanlon

Thanks to those unforgiving sands of time, gone are the days when I could ride a 13-19 5 speed flush block up any incline. Nowadays a narrow 7 speed 13-28 is required especially as my chainset's smallest ring is 42T - but will my early 1970s Nuovo Record short cage rear mech handle it OK ? I'd rather find out before buying one, so guidance greatly appreciated ! And will a narrow 7 be OK on a 126 OLN Record rear hub ? Thanks chaps

midlife

Guru
Nuovo Record 26 teeth, Super Record 28 teeth according to Velobase. I've seen 7 speed on 126 OLD but it's tight against the chainstay, 6 would be safer?

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
You might be pushing 42 x 28 with a short cage. My Dura Ace 7400 from the 90's says it will do 26, but comfortably it's 24T - give it a try, but be careful - i.e. try it before riding.

If you can find one a compact 7 speed freewheel would be this solution, Suntour used to make them.

28 teeth will be asking a lot of a NR tear mech. Even if you can get it to shift to the 28 tooth on a bike stand, under real world pressure it will be temperamental at best, DAMHIKT

OP
OP
H

Hanlon

The Disraeli Gears website states: 'Maximum cog: 26 teeth (bike shop folklore)' http://www.disraeligears.co.uk/Site/Campagnolo_Nuovo_Record_1020A_PATENT-74_derailleur.html

...it also includes this memorable quote too: 'Frank Berto caustically comments that the Campagnolo Nuovo Record rear derailleur shifted poorly, but was so well constructed that it would keep on shifting exactly as poorly - forever.'
Thanks for all the advice chaps ! Guess if I want to use the NR I'd better get a bit fitter :laugh: Berto's quote is very canny - I used the Nuovo Record for racing back in the early 1980s and changed it for Shimano precisely because it shifted better. But I've dragged the old Campag out of storage for my 1970s Holdsworth Mistral rebuild because they always used the Italian gears. Thanks again fellas ^_^

Fitter is always good. However, a long cage may be the solution @KEW may still have one available from a broken First Gen Campag Rally, add it to a NR body and you have ...a Second Gen Campag Rally^_^ (32 teeth capacity)

Top Bottom