NY ped killed, bus driver charged, colleagues strike.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Think London's bad?

webgraf-vision-1230.jpg

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york...affic-deaths-hit-record-nyc-article-1.2060325

Vision Zero sparked some controversy last week when police arrested an NYC Transit bus driver after a fatal accident. The driver was charged with failing to yield to a pedestrian in a crosswalk. The charge was elevated from a violation to a misdemeanor.

Bus drivers at three depots protested the arrest and the misdemeanor charge by refusing to start their routes for at least an hour the next day.

Turbo Rider

Just can't reMember
For a WHOLE hour?!?! What changed their minds? Overnight workers needed to get home but no buses running?!?!

Levo-Lon

Guru
I was pleased to see the NYPD didn't all strike last week and then rush out and riot loot and claim harassment and murder as a reason..

OP
OP
glenn forger

glenn forger

Cycle deaths have doubled in NYC, the way they compile the figures are weird, car passengers and cyclists count as peds.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Cycle deaths have doubled in NYC, the way they compile the figures are weird, car passengers and cyclists count as peds.
Not in the figures above they don't, at least not how I read it (which could well be incorrect, I admit). Or are you referring to some other info?

They have two figures shown above. Left hand column pedestrians only. Right hand column, grand total of all road deaths, including drivers, passengers, motor and non-motor cyclists (and, presumably, pedestrians too as this is a total).

I think the purpose of the graphic is just to break out pedestrian deaths from total road deaths.

OP
OP
glenn forger

glenn forger

You're right dogtrousers, misread it.

WNYC adds some extra context from last year's data: "At the end of September 2014, 190 people had been killed in traffic crashes in New York City, compared to 203 at the same point last year. The death toll has risen for one group - cyclists, with more than twice as many killed this year than last year."

http://gothamist.com/2014/10/15/there_have_now_been_200_traffic_fat.php

One other interesting trend they noticed: a majority of pedestrian crashes in Brooklyn and The Bronx happened along the obscure, invisible lines that distinguish one police precinct from another.

Top Bottom